PDA

View Full Version : D2H & Tokina 400mm ATX

Jim Mooney
02-02-2008, 11:12 PM
Hi all,

This is my first post here and I'm excited as I've been lurking for a while and this is a wonderful sight. I'm primarily a fine art photographer and shoot a lot of film (yes that old stuff that comes in long rolls :D) but I'm also a beginning, yet avid birder. I'm a Nikon guy and am looking to make photographs of the birds I see. The primary purpose will be more for record keeping/scrapbooking/listing the birds I've seen. I currently shoot a D40 and 70-300VR but I'd like something faster and with more reach, so I'm looking at assembling a birding kit of a Nikon D2h and a a Tokina 400/5.6 ATX. Does anyone use this combo? I'd love to hear of expereicnces with it and see some examples of the lens or the lens/body combo if you shoot it. All the reviews I've read have been good but practical expereicne is much appreciated.

Take care and good light to all!

Jim

Sid Garige
02-02-2008, 11:36 PM
Jim,

Did you consider Sigma 400mm 5.6 APO as an alternative to Tokina? Its a very good alternative. I do see HSM version on web. Never seen one on sale sofar.

wlliment
04-27-2008, 07:57 AM
Hi,

I have a Tokina At-X 400mm f/5.6 with a Nikon D80. It is a decent lens.

Robert O'Toole
04-27-2008, 08:59 AM
I think the Tokina At-X 400mm f/5.6 is a rare species, I would go with sids recommendation with the Sigma 400mm f/5.6 APO, its a good to excellent performer I am told.

Robert