PDA

View Full Version : Fly head on

Alfred Forns
06-05-2009, 08:10 PM
Went out for bugs today and the outing was short due to heavy thunderstorms. Forgot my lens tripod collar which was ok ..with the heavy wind not much use for it !! Did find some little bugs this fly was cooperative !!!

Comments welcome and much appreciated

Canon 50D
180 Sigma Marco 1.4X
f 8.0 1/500 sec
ISO 500
Av 0
hand held

Fabs Forns
06-05-2009, 08:27 PM
I love ethe selective focus and the soft light BG and the way the fly seems to be floating in paradise :)

Steve Maxson
06-05-2009, 10:11 PM
I thought the fly was hovering at first! :) The sharpness and colors on the head and thorax are amazing. This is a very striking image, Alfred.

Gordon Craig
06-06-2009, 08:33 AM
This is one of the best Fly shots I have seen. It appears the Fly is poised on an Arm or Leg. Is that why it was hand held?

Julie Kenward
06-06-2009, 12:56 PM
Okay, Al, I have questions!

First, what is the fly standing on? Is it a light colored flower or did you adjust the lightness at all in pp?

Also, I don't see mention of flash and there's certainly no real evidence of it on the insect so...what was the lighting like? How did you get such a soft BG and such a striking and detailed bug?

Do share!!!

Charles Wesley
06-06-2009, 03:39 PM
Alfred,

This is very magical imagery.
Thanks for sharing....

Alfred Forns
06-06-2009, 08:43 PM
The surface the fly is sitting on is a light colored leaf ... very light yellow. Image was exposed all the way to the right without going over and gives that look .. being oof also helps.

Didn't use a flash for this to preserve the soft look Do like using the Canon twin macro lights !!! Great for contrast !!

Christopher Miller
06-07-2009, 08:18 PM
This is one amazing image, Al! Love the BG and shallow DOF.

Roman Kurywczak
06-10-2009, 08:20 PM
Hey Al,
Saw this one earlier and only have the opportunity to comment now. Love the in your face look and the selective focus on the eye/face is sweet. Perfect use of the shallow DOF.....as i like the way the legs and wings are visible....but fade into that exquisite BG. I do have to mess with the shallow DOF's......but this is a tough one to top! Very nicely done!