PDA

View Full Version : Prairie Snowscape

Chris Starbuck
02-02-2008, 11:00 PM
Photographed yesterday in late afternoon after ~6 inch snowfall, Busch Conservation Area, St. Charles County, Missouri. I was intrigued by the shadows of prairie grasses as they fell across the path. I deliberately framed this without any size reference to emphasize the pattern and rhythm of the shadows, placing the small bump in the snow at the upper left as a subtle visual anchor. I hope not too subtle.:) What do you think?

Canon 20D, Tamron 28-300 at 77mm, ISO 100, Av 1/20 at f/22, eval metering +1.3, tripod
ACR: tweaked white balance for neutral whites
PSCS2: slight contrast increase, small crop to remove a bit of grass at one corner

Chris

Jason Hahn
02-03-2008, 08:25 AM
Before I read your post the first thing I thought was great llines and placement of the "bump", so I guess it was not too subtle :). Realy minor, but I might consider a small crop or clone to get rid of the second bump near the top of the frame. I think it is a simple but effective composition, I like the repetition of the soft lines throughout, and the fine texture of the snow

Jason

Robert Amoruso
02-04-2008, 07:39 AM
When I saw the thumbnail I thought it was a blur but then opened it and was greeted with this subtle but well thought out composition. Jason nails it with his comments on the bump and coning the small one.

Gayle Clement
02-04-2008, 08:27 AM
I love the subtle lines and sugary snow here. Bump noted.