PDA

View Full Version : Black-Rumped Flameback

Harshad Barve
06-05-2009, 07:53 AM
Dear All

Make this image of Black-Rumped falemback Woodpecker in small forest outside city
D300/600MM VRIIF4/ISO 200/ F7.1 at 1/250 sec

C & C are most welcome

Harshad

Tell Dickinson
06-05-2009, 08:58 AM
Hi Harshad, nice bg, nice subject, nice perch, also like the angle :) perhaps just a little more sharpening.

Randy Stout
06-05-2009, 09:08 AM
Harshad:
When I first glanced at it, I thought, that sure is a funny looking pileated woodpecker. Very similar to a female pileated, with lighter darks, and the saffron colored wings.

Vibrant colors, well exposed. I find the head a bit soft on my monitor. The HA is turned just a bit away.

The tree trunk is so massive that it dominates the bird a bit. If you have some extra canvas, might rotate the bird a bit CW, which would allow you to crop some of the trunk away and reduce its dominance.

Hope to see more of this interesting woodpecker.

Thanks for sharing.

Randy

Harshad Barve
06-05-2009, 09:11 AM
Hi
Is this okay now
I always find shakey hand while using Sharpness/Saturation
Let me know about this

Harshad

Randy Stout
06-05-2009, 09:21 AM
Harshad:
I think this is better re:
sharpening, except I might selectively hit the eye one more time.

You probably know this, but what looks sharp in the large image on your monitor, often does look a bit soft when scaled down for web presentation. I always do a second pass of sharpening after sizing for the web.

Cheers

Randy

Harshad Barve
06-05-2009, 09:28 AM
Hi Randy

Cropped as per your suggation , second round of sharpneing at eyes & hed , Let me know how it looks now
Harshad

Axel Hildebrandt
06-05-2009, 09:29 AM
Good-looking bird and eye contact. The repost looks better although I wouldn't sharpen the trunk. I like Randy's idea of a bit CW rotation to be able to crop more off the trunk.

Tell Dickinson
06-05-2009, 09:35 AM
Hi Harshad, last repost is much better for me, I think I may be in the minority here but I like the trunk as in the original because it shows how big the tree is compared to the bird, if its cropped I personally would not get the same sense of proportion. Thats what I like about wildlife photography in that there is no right or wrong, just different interpretations.

Randy Stout
06-05-2009, 09:48 AM
Harshad:

THe eye is better!

This is not quite what I meant re: the crop. I think it is too tight on the tail now. I actually suggested, if this image had been cropped at all as originally presented, so you have some more image to work with, to rotate the image CW a bit, and then crop in from the right. I have done this in a quick fashion here. The tail is too tight, but if you have more canvas, you won't have this problem when you rotate it.

Randy

Harshad Barve
06-05-2009, 09:51 AM
Hi Randy

Unfortunately ,I dont have much of canvas
But I will keep this in mind whlie composing in camera next time
Thanks for huge & quick suggations

Harshad

Stu Bowie
06-06-2009, 03:08 AM
Harshad, I like the colours, and showing good detail. Your last repost has turned out very well.