PDA

View Full Version : Southern Boobook

Ákos Lumnitzer
06-04-2009, 09:58 PM
In line with my earlier Barn Owl image, this illustrates a preferred perch these birds of the night appear to use. Of course three outings seeing them three times on these barren, thin branches cannot be a conclusive observation, though it may point to a preference by the birds.

30D, 300mm f/4L IS USM, 1.4x, ISO400, f/5.6, 1/125th, 430ex at zero with beamer, cropped to 80% of the original.

Ramon M. Casares
06-04-2009, 10:52 PM
I like the species a lot Akos! I wouls suggest more contrast, saturation and less NR on the bird, I would've also tried to de-center the bird more and probaly I woul've removed the branches and leaves. I like the fact that he is standing on one leg.
Congratulations!

Stu Bowie
06-05-2009, 05:50 AM
Great eye contact Akos. I agree with Ramon that there seems to be a slight loss of detail. I would also take away the twigs on the RHS of the image. Still, well captured.

Randy Stout
06-05-2009, 07:35 AM
Akos:

I think Ramon and Stuart hit the important points.

Because the leaves and some of the twigs in this one are so bright compared with the background, I would really tone them down or clone them out. The perch is sig. more substantial here, and I don't think it would have the same impression of sitting on a wire, like the last one did when I removed the branches. :)

Thanks for sharing. Makes me want to go out owl hunting!

Randy

Axel Hildebrandt
06-05-2009, 09:35 AM
I like the composition and stare, the bird could go a bit brighter for my taste and I might make the catchlights a bit less prominent.