PDA

View Full Version : Showy Ladyslippers

Steve Patterson
06-04-2009, 09:07 PM
State flower of Minnesota. This was taken with a gold reflector, which highlights the flowers and makes for the black background...but all natural light (no flash). Beautiful bog flower...not unlike an orchid.

40D 100mm f/2.8 macro
1/250 f/10 iso 400

http://www.pbase.com/spatterson/image/99577340/original.jpg

John Lowin
06-04-2009, 09:18 PM
Hi Steve, Not unlike an orchid, because it is one. Cypripedium regina. It is an incredibly beautiful native North American woodland flower. I have been growing these under lights for about five years, but am still waiting to successfully bloom them.

I like your composition, but would like to see some more room on three sides, T, R, & L. Thanks for sharing. - John

State flower of Minnesota. This was taken with a gold reflector, which highlights the flowers and makes for the black background...but all natural light (no flash). Beautiful bog flower...not unlike an orchid.

http://www.pbase.com/spatterson/image/99577340/original.jpg

Julie Kenward
06-05-2009, 07:20 AM
Steve, I really like the use of the gold reflector in this case because it really adds a special glow and warmth to the greenery in the image. It does leave the BG about 90% dark and I'd suggest either bringing it all the way down to knock out the few places where we can see through to the BG or else use a shadows/highlight adjustment to open it up a bit more so we can get a little more detail in the BG...either would work in this case.

The only thing I find really distracting to the image is the one small stem in the foreground that doesn't really go with anything - I'd clone that out if you aren't opposed to such things.

Roman Kurywczak
06-05-2009, 08:46 AM
Hey Steve,
It does have a neat spotlight look to it and find the dark BG really brings out the beauty of the ladyslippers. I agree with John on more room on the left and with Jules on the FG stem. I would opt for the dark bg.....but it's not to everyones tastes. Pretty good DOF for f10 too!

Steve Maxson
06-05-2009, 01:04 PM
Hey, another Steve from Bemidji! :) Very nice light, sharpness, DOF, and the raindrops are a plus. These must be from last year (?) as the few that I've seen during this cool, late spring are just sprouting now. I like the dark background with just a hint of detail (rather that pure black). I would wish for a little more room on the left and that the leaf wasn't "touching" the flower on the left. I would agree about cloning the one small stem in the foreground.

Steve Patterson
06-05-2009, 02:50 PM
Hey, another Steve from Bemidji! :) Very nice light, sharpness, DOF, and the raindrops are a plus. These must be from last year (?) as the few that I've seen during this cool, late spring are just sprouting now. I like the dark background with just a hint of detail (rather that pure black). I would wish for a little more room on the left and that the leaf wasn't "touching" the flower on the left. I would agree about cloning the one small stem in the foreground.

Hey....small world! These are from the bog at the state park last July 2nd. I should have done a little better job with in camera composition as I don't think I cropped this at all. All I remember was trying to avoid the mosquitoes..............Thanks for commenting. I am surprised there are two of us from Bemidji on the forum, little out of the way town that we are. Cool.

Fabs Forns
06-05-2009, 08:32 PM
Great suggestions above, and very dramatic image with lots to like!