PDA

View Full Version : Fog Rolls in from the Sea

John Lowin
06-04-2009, 08:28 PM
The fog was pretty thick when I arrived, so I waited until some of it blew off. This is Kahakuloa Head on the far right, a well known Maui landmark.This 636-foot high hill is situated on a point east of the sleepy town of Kahakuloa. It is on the coast along the northwest loop road. This route makes the "Road to Hana" look like a super highway. For those of you that haven't had the opportunity to drive it, let me tell you there are spots where you wish you could step out and carry your car. :-) Hope you like my image. C and C welcome, I'm here to learn. - John

f/8 1/500 ISO 200
Canon 1D Mk II
Canon 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 EF IS USM @ 28mm
hh

Roman Kurywczak
06-05-2009, 08:39 AM
Hi John,
I like the way all the layers flow through the image. Having been there a few times myself I think you have done a very nice job capturing the undulations and feel of the place. The light dancing along the terrain is what makes this. I think you have an ever so slight lean to the horizon and a CW rotation is needed. On my monitor, it appears to be slightly over sharpned. I kind of like it in the middle ground but more noticable and distracting in the FG. Try pulling back just there first and then maybe a touch in the middle area. All in all nicely composed and captured.

John Lowin
06-05-2009, 10:12 PM
Hi Roman,

I straightened the HL, .5 degrees, and reduced the sharpening. Is this an improvement? - John

Hi John,
I like the way all the layers flow through the image. Having been there a few times myself I think you have done a very nice job capturing the undulations and feel of the place. The light dancing along the terrain is what makes this. I think you have an ever so slight lean to the horizon and a CW rotation is needed. On my monitor, it appears to be slightly over sharpned. I kind of like it in the middle ground but more noticable and distracting in the FG. Try pulling back just there first and then maybe a touch in the middle area. All in all nicely composed and captured.

Paul Marcellini
06-06-2009, 07:20 PM
As far as sharpening, repost looks better but to me the original is straighter. The horizon has a bow to it but it seemed level in the first. I like the comp and yes the light does play nicely in this. The comp is very successful.

Roman Kurywczak
06-06-2009, 08:19 PM
Hey John,
Re-post does look better on sharpness front......maybe a .25 degree rotation?.....if all else fails go with the original on that.

John Lowin
06-06-2009, 11:27 PM
Hi Roman and Paul, Here it is rotated back .25 degrees. The curvature must be some lens barrel distortion. - John

Ed Cordes
06-07-2009, 12:09 PM
last post nails it. The curvature may also be contributed to by the natural Earth curvature visible on far horizons of seascapes. Very strong image.

John Lowin
06-07-2009, 03:11 PM
Thank you all for your tips and comments, much appreciated. - John

Roman Kurywczak
06-07-2009, 08:32 PM
Yep,
works for me too!

Robert Amoruso
06-09-2009, 05:53 AM
Third post looks good. I like the placement of the UR peaks.