PDA

View Full Version : Dendrobium aberrans

John Lowin
06-04-2009, 07:34 PM
This perfectly shaped miniature, crystaline white orchid blossom measures only 3/8 of an inch. The whole plant is under three inches high with eight blossoms. Of several miniatures in my collection, this is my favorite. 68mm of extension tubes, manual focus, mirror lock-up, and electronic release were used. Hope you like my image. C and C welcome, I'm here to learn. - John

f/32 3.25s ISO 640
Canon 1D MkII
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
12+20+36mm Extension Tubes 68mm Total
Gitzo CF 1228 tripod
Arca Swiss B1 Ball Head

Roman Kurywczak
06-04-2009, 07:44 PM
Hey John,
That's a tough size and you did well with all the tubes........and I'm going to make your life even harder......put the 1.4tele on too (man I love my 180mm!!!)......i'd imagine that with an exposure of 3.2 seconds you were indoors......what's another 1/2 secpnd or so! This will give you even more magnification on the really gorgeous flower.

Joseph Martines
06-04-2009, 07:53 PM
I like the composition and the background.

I think Roman is probably right which means you might be able to boost the texture.

Thanks for sharing.

John Lowin
06-04-2009, 07:54 PM
Hi Roman, Thanks for your comments. I did shoot inside on the breakfast room table by window light. I have a 180mm macro but haven't tried that. (That's another stretch for me) I'll have to wait till tomorrow, loosing light here and I'd rather shoot w/o flash if possible. Quite a challenge. - John

Julie Kenward
06-04-2009, 08:22 PM
Beautiful image, John! I would love to see the outcome of what Roman suggested! My one thought here on this gorgeous plant would be to consider cropping a bit from the top to eliminate some of the OOF plant in the ULC. Otherwise...great job on the whites and very nicely exposed.

Amy DeStefanis
06-04-2009, 08:28 PM
I have one of these that bloomed a couple of years ago - and yes, very difficult to get a shot that does it justice - but you pulled it off!

:)

Amy D.

Gordon Craig
06-04-2009, 09:43 PM
Very nice composition with this shot. I have never used that much tube. My only change would be to remove the green leave in the top right.