PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Suggest a Good Guide for Yosemite?

Michael Pancier
06-04-2009, 03:28 PM
the pics of the place keep beckoning me there.

I'd rather pay for a photographer/guide with knowledge of the area and what not. Know anyone out there?

Jay Gould
06-04-2009, 05:44 PM
Me, except I am currently in Australia - used to spend a minimum of one week every year in a past lifetime.

Mike, call the Ansel Adams center in Yosemite. They will be able to assist you.

http://www.anseladams.com/

888-361-7622

Nagesh Mula
06-08-2009, 03:35 PM
Mike, If you are planning your trip in summer then I would not suggest you to go there for photography but for Hiking/climbing as there would be loads and loads of people while the waterfalls would be dried up.
If you are going for photography then Oct - Apr is the best time when you can take beautiful pics there.

Jay Gould
06-08-2009, 04:30 PM
Mike, If you are planning your trip in summer then I would not suggest you to go there for photography but for Hiking/climbing as there would be loads and loads of people while the waterfalls would be dried up.
If you are going for photography then Oct - Apr is the best time when you can take beautiful pics there.

Good catch, Nagesh! I missed the "seasons" issue. Mike spring is the absolute best time for the waterfalls, they do dry up in the summer and not much water coming over the falls; fall is the best time for colors. Enjoy!

shankar_roy
06-11-2009, 12:24 AM
I personally like the book
The Photographer's Guide to Yosemite by Michael Fry $8.95

the pics of the place keep beckoning me there.

I'd rather pay for a photographer/guide with knowledge of the area and what not. Know anyone out there?

Gerald_Gilligan
08-21-2009, 10:33 PM
Michael,
Do you know which month you will be visiting?
I go up there often and try to position myself for the best opportunity...using intuition and my gut feelings...the place is predictable for were the sun will rise and set, but with each season the natural occurrences are not...Let me know...and maybe I can get up there when you are there...

If you would like a professional guide then Michael Frye lives about 30 minutes away and is a professional photographer...Gary Hart is also another photographer that will guide you through the area.
I have not ever contacted either one of these guys but follow their work from their web pages...

I did come across Michael frye when I took the silhouette tree image that was posted a while back... he was right there holding a workshop... in the moment chasing light as it was unfolding...

I hope that you make it there some day as you can see ...I post Yosemite more than other area's as I live about 2 1/2 hours away... I can not escape the amazing beauty...

Winter is really special if you could time it with an overnight snow storm and wake up to an early morning wonder land...it is not easy but being there with what ever unfolds is still special...

Fall color is coming and I will be in the Eastern Sierras high country camping in the first of October...Another area outside of the park 60 miles south to Bishop.

November is great for fall color in the valley of Yosemite... It turns later than the higher elevation in the Easter Sierra.

April - May is better for snow and water fall images...

Jerry