PDA

View Full Version : Shy Bird Emerges...

David Roach
02-02-2008, 09:44 PM
On an overcast rainy saturday morning, no one was around at Green Cay. In south Florida, if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes. Just as the latest rain was slowing down, this beauty flew up to the railing near the gazebo where I was sitting and began to shake off the rain and preen. For the next 20 minutes I approached closer and closer as the rain stopped. This beauty let me within the MFD and allowed me to snap away. It was an intimate encounter with one of my favorite birds!! 1DMKIIN 400 DO 1.4xtc ISO 1600 F11@1/500

Doug Brown
02-02-2008, 10:25 PM
I really like this shot David. Great DOF and sharpness, and a nice pose. I would change the color of the upper right corner of the image to something a little more green. Also, I might recrop to provide a little more room around the bill at the bottom right.

Axel Hildebrandt
02-02-2008, 10:41 PM
Great portrait and BG. I would sharpen it a bit more and run some NR on the BG.

Dick Boone
02-02-2008, 10:48 PM
David, I wish this image was mine. Love the composition, sharpness, exposure, and the BG. Thanks for sharing!

God bless.....Dick :)

Dan O'Leary
02-03-2008, 12:06 AM
I really enjoy this image, but wouldn't mind a bit more room around the bill.

What species is this?

David Roach
02-03-2008, 04:17 AM
Hey Dan, this is a Limpkin (Aramus guarana). It is an inconspicuous bird living in wooded and brushy swamps and is usually heard and not seen. It is known for it's plaintive wail and almost exclusively eats apple snails. It's a very unique bird and the only one in it's Family Aramidae of the species Gruiformes (also includes Rails and Cranes). Thanks to all for suggestions!!