PDA

View Full Version : Barn Owl

Ákos Lumnitzer
06-03-2009, 07:31 PM
I was fortunate enough to spend ten minutes driving along my favorite country road last night and was rewarded with my first ever image and sighting of a Barn Owl (Tyto javanica - conspecific with T. alba). 70% of full frame, hand held, 30D, 300mm f/4L IS USM + 1.4x, ISO400, AF in car high beams, f/10, 1/100th, 430EX and beamer, flash at zero.

Randy Stout
06-03-2009, 07:56 PM
Akos:

Great find. I think they are one of the most interesting birds.

Always pays to have your gear with you!

I might be tempted to clone out the lower branches, crop up from the bottom a bit, and lighten the bird a bit, esp. the facial disc.

thanks for sharing!

Randy

Randy Stout
06-03-2009, 08:09 PM
Akos:

Just a quick tweak. I think the bird stands out a bit more from the background, without looking too bright. I did reduce the contrast slightly, cleaned up the branches and cropped up a bit.

You know owls better than I, but this is an option for you to consider.

Thanks for sharing him.

Randy

Marina Scarr
06-03-2009, 08:31 PM
Hi Akos:

This is a tough one. I think Randy's repost works as far as the contrast on the bird, but I think I have to go with the branches below. Without the branches, it just look as though the owl is suspended. I think it looks more grounded in your rendition, although it is possibly more pleasing to the eye without the branches. It's ultimately up to you and I have to assume you prefer it this way, which has a bit of the environment added.

Kobus Tollig
06-04-2009, 12:13 AM
Great shot well done. Well exposed with good detail. Like what randy did

Ákos Lumnitzer
06-04-2009, 12:37 AM
Thank you guys and Randy. I like it a little lighter too, but Marina hit it on the head that I prefer the bits of twigs underneath, as what I remember is the thin branches allover and the owl just sitting on them. Thanks again. :)

Stu Bowie
06-04-2009, 01:02 AM
Hi Akos, great sighting, and good use of flash. I like the detail and colours on him, and Im in two minds regarding the lower branches. I say that, as we are used to seeing these guys in trees on much thicker perches. So by removing the lower ones, he looks out of place. If we could have seen where they joined, it may have worked better.

Lana Hays
06-04-2009, 06:09 AM
Akos
I liked Randy's suggestions. My first thought was to clone out the lower branches but once I saw both versions, I believe that I'd leave them in the image. You are so lucky to see such a magnificent owl. I've only seen them as captives......but look forward for the day that I can see one in the wild. Well done.

Randy Stout
06-04-2009, 06:14 AM
Akos:

Well, after looking at both of the images for a while, I think I would leave the lower branches too!

I think they balance the composition a bit, and because they are darker, don't compete too much with the owl.

I love BPN, lots of good thoughts and opinions!

Cheers

Randy

Axel Hildebrandt
06-04-2009, 07:11 AM
Great find, I didn't know you have this species, too. I like it with the two branches and agree on making it a bit brighter.

Randy Stout
06-04-2009, 07:23 AM
Akos:

In thinking about it, I believe one of the reasons everyone wants the extra branches is, that the perch is so improbably small for this big bird, that our brains want a more substantial support, and the lower branches add to that impression. If he was on a thicker branch, I don't think it would be as noticeable to remove the lower branches.

On the other hand, maybe I just need another cup of coffee. :)

Randy

Dave Barnes
06-04-2009, 08:35 AM
Hi Akos
Very interesting capture, I like the light on the bird and the dark BG.
I prefer it without the branches below as posted by Randy but I would have preferred a bit more space above the bird.
I realy like the light/ sceen of the feathers on his face.

Fabs Forns
06-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Beautiful capture, with intense eye contact and pose. I'd leave the branches there too :)

Ákos Lumnitzer
06-04-2009, 04:39 PM
THank you again! I also love BPN as there are so many good and constructive comments made.

I found it weird too that this owl perched on such a flimsy branch, but three spotlighting sessions of (1hr, 20mins, 10mins) have found three owls (two species) and all of them were seen (initially) perching on these thin branches along the sides of the road. It makes me conclude (and could very well be wrong) that at these places where there is a break in amongst the turf farms and fields, the owls expect to find all the straying rodents as those work the edges or use the roadways to cross from field to field. I'll dig out a Boobook image from the same location on the same set-up (branch wise that is).

Juan Carlos Vindas
06-06-2009, 09:46 PM
Great job with the car beams. Lovely looking owl. Andy's repost helps this image a lot. Que bueno verte de nuevo por aca!