PDA

View Full Version : Grasshopper Sparrow

Bryan Erb
06-03-2009, 06:33 PM
Made this image at Highpoint Park in York County, PA. This is a relatively new park that is all grassland, ideal habitat for this species. This particular bird was exceptionally easy to work with. Landing on my perch as if he knew that was what was expected of him.

Canon 1DmkIIn, Canon 500 4L IS w/ 1.4 TC, ISO 400, EV 0, 1/500 @ f11, Almost full frame.

Nagesh Mula
06-03-2009, 07:10 PM
Hi Bryan, Very sharp and beautiful picture.
My only nit is the OOF yellow FG or BG (I guess its because of dried up grass) which is a little bit distracting.
Other than that a very good image. Congratulations!!

Steve Maxson
06-03-2009, 09:01 PM
Excellent pose, sharpness and light, Bryan. You might consider toning down the specular highlights on the leg and maybe remove the second catchlight. For me, the vegetation that seemingly pokes the bird in the rear detracts from an otherwise outstanding image. :)

ChasMcRae
06-03-2009, 11:12 PM
I recently shot this bird on a setup with provided perch. I wonder if the perch was provided or natural ? Nice exposure and position and the veg into the rear end was somewhat distracting. Background nice and the slight yellow bg did not bother me.
Chas.

Kiran Poonacha
06-04-2009, 01:26 AM
Beautiful image Bryan, I dont mind the dried grass in the BG as it gives a natural feel to it. but yeah the veg part is to be taken care.

Lana Hays
06-04-2009, 05:58 AM
Bryan
I just love the sparrows. I swear when I opened this one up I could hear him sing. I like the composition and the pose. A slight distraction is the vegetation at his rear......but I'm so pleased with the bird that I really only notice that secondarily. Well done.

Axel Hildebrandt
06-04-2009, 07:07 AM
Great find, exposure control and details. The singing pose adds to it. I agree with Lana regarding the part of the perch touching the rear of the bird.

Kaustubh Deshpande
06-04-2009, 09:19 AM
Liked it a lot. excellent composition. excellent sharpness. perfect head angle and the open beak. Not always possible to get both of them.

I find it a little overexposed though. If I were you, before making other adjustments, I'd just pull it half a stop down in raw conversion iteself.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">