PDA

View Full Version : Trillium grandiflorum

John Lowin
06-03-2009, 05:42 PM
I created this image a couple weeks ago, but just got to it. Hope you like my image. C and C welcome, I'm here to learn - John

f/4 1/500 ISO 800
Canon 1D MkII
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
hh

Julie Kenward
06-03-2009, 09:43 PM
Beautiful job on the white, John. There doesn't seem to be a color cast and they have detail throughout - really nice exposure.

As for the composition, there's an awful lot of the OOF petal on the left. If it were mine I think I would have stepped one more step to the right so less of the OOF petal was in view and more of the flower were on the focal plane. As is, I'd consider cropping just a bit more from the left side so more of the in focus area gets more of a prominence.

Again...beautiful exposure!

Alfred Forns
06-03-2009, 10:34 PM
Hi John

Love the basic composition but would go tighter Would take some from left and bottom. Great texture and detail all with just perfect color !!! Big Congrats !!!

Anita Bower
06-04-2009, 12:56 PM
Lovely capture of this Trillium. Beautiful detail in the whites and center. Nice blur in the green areas. I might crop the left side to eliminate the out of focus part of that white petal which I find a bit distracting.

Roman Kurywczak
06-04-2009, 07:13 PM
Hey John,
This may sound weird....but here goes anyway...and may help clarify some of the above statements which I agree with. The stamen/center of the trillium is pointing right...so Ideally you would want more room in that direction....and while it's close.....repositioning to have more petals that way....even if they went OOF would have been preferable. I think Alfred offered the best solution in this case and the re-post will reflect his advice and I will rotate it to show what I was trying to convey. I rotated about 16 degrees CCW......which you could have done in camera......I cropped proportionally all around to show you what it could have looked like in the field simply by rotating the camera. You can fill in the black edges......but I left them in as a reference so you have an idea for next time in the field. Exposure was handled very well......so this is just something for you to think of next time out.

Randy Stout
06-05-2009, 07:42 AM
John:

You have gotten some good advice. I enjoyed reading it. One minor point that jumped out at me from a techincal standpoint, was the amount of noise in the darker leaves, and BG, esp. noticeable on the right side of image.

Just a little bit to clean up while working on the composition tweaking!

Thanks for sharing!

Randy

John Lowin
06-05-2009, 08:13 PM
Thanks one and all for the good suggestions. Much appreciated