PDA

View Full Version : Black Phoebe

Bruce Gove
06-03-2009, 04:58 PM
Hi All,

Would have liked to have been closer to this bird, but I wasn't...So, should this be cropped so the bird is larger in the frame or leave as is. Right now it's as is...:D

Cheers,
Bruce

1DMKIII
500 f/4 - 2XTC ISO 400 EV0
1/500 @ f/8

Alfred Forns
06-03-2009, 06:00 PM
Hi Bruce

If this is full frame I would crop since it would be a reasonable crop Take form the right mostly ... small bird in frames look good in corners. Would also suggest trying to get in sun angle ... front of perch has a deep shadow from the bird Do like the pose and beautiful bg !! Really nice !!

.... btw in desperate situations I have stacked converters and results will surprise you... !!!

Gus Cobos
06-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Hi Bruce,
I like the capture...you were dealing with very harsh light, coming in from the two o'clock position, thus the shadows on the perch and on the left side of your subject...the bird needs to be off centered to the right side of the frame, and needs to be cropped all the way around to eliminate the negative space...I took the liberty in modifying your composition to illustrate these points...I hope this presents best to you...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Bruce Gove
06-03-2009, 08:01 PM
Hi Bruce

If this is full frame I would crop since it would be a reasonable crop Take form the right mostly ... small bird in frames look good in corners. Would also suggest trying to get in sun angle ... front of perch has a deep shadow from the bird Do like the pose and beautiful bg !! Really nice !!

.... btw in desperate situations I have stacked converters and results will surprise you... !!!

Hi Al - it is indeed a full frame. I guess I knew it needed to be cropped. I worry about weakening the image from a pixel standpoint when I crop, as that has happened to me before; crop too much and the subject loses quality. I knew the sun was not square to my back, but I was on a very small road in the vehicle with my rig on the BLUUB with no room to maneuver - it was either press the shutter or move on! Perhaps I need to get out and make more images so I get this stuff down?:D I've read some about stacking converters and even extension tubes - haven't done that either!!:( Thanks for your help Al !

Cheers,

Bruce

Bruce Gove
06-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Thanks Gus. The crop looks pretty good!! Appreciate your critique..

Cheers,

Bruce

Lance Peters
06-04-2009, 03:00 AM
HI Bruce - Gus's repost is on the money for me - angle of light is the main issue. Good Ha and plenty sharp.
Well done :)