06-03-2009, 04:34 PM
Canon 40D, 100-400L at 400mm
F5.6
ISO 100
1/2000th
Spot metered
Crop tight for composition
Early Morning light

White Morph of Reddish Egret, Ft DeSoto North Beach Lagoon.
Thoughts?

Nagesh Mula
06-03-2009, 04:50 PM
I liked the action in this pic. Taking pics with shadow is a big challenge and if taken properly would result in a beautiful picture.
I would sharpen the eye and beak a bit. I've not seen reddish egret in this avatar so can't comment but the beak looks a bit desaturated to me.
Also, i would increase the canvas at the bottom.

Daniel Cadieux
06-03-2009, 06:16 PM
I really like the pose you got here (classic for this species), and the play of light is interesting. I'm finding the image cropped a little too tight, and I agree it looks soft. I'm wondering if your focus point caught the wing tip as it seems sharper than the face - some selective sharpening of said face should bring it close to par. A one-time pass of the sponge tool set to saturate with an 6-8% flow should really spruce the bill/face up quite nicely. Thanks for sharing this entertaining beauty!

Axel Hildebrandt
06-04-2009, 07:03 AM
Cool pose captured. Adding to the other comments, it could go a bit brighter and I would run NR on the BG.

Steve Leach
06-04-2009, 09:41 AM
Thank you for the input, suggests and critiques.
I will attempt to use these ideas on the image.
Crops are always so funny, too much or too little.
I always try and leave enough on a frame to add a little in any direction when composing in camera for that reason.
I did check it in DPP for the focal points and you were correct, it hit on the upper wing, good lesson for some more DOF when using all the focal points.
Thanks again, very good input on some fine detail points that will make the difference on this one.

I think this one does have the potential for print after the suggestions, don't you?

Jeff Cashdollar
06-04-2009, 03:29 PM
Great shot of a beautiful baby. What was the EV (+/-) and did the histogram clip either side.

Steve Leach
06-05-2009, 10:27 PM
EV was ZERO, Histogram did not clip on either side, very close to center (just a tad to the left) on exposure.
A bit clipped on top for RGB But not by much at all.
Now curious what you were thinking on these two, what were you seeing that pointed you to the Histogram and EV? (so I will know in the future). Thanks