PDA

View Full Version : Nightsleeze

Marko Matic
06-03-2009, 09:45 AM
http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/965/dsc0006pscopy.jpg

Shooting data: D200, 200mm f4 macro, Flash, f22, iso 100, hand held, total darkness.

Randy Stout
06-03-2009, 10:52 AM
Marko:

As a part time gardener, I hate slugs/snails.

Interesting capture. I love the antenna. My main thought would be to try and tone down some of the bright reflections. They are unavoidable from the flash, but you can lessen their impact in post processing.

I wish the eye contact was better :):) (Sorry, I am from the avian forum!)

Thanks for sharing.

Randy

Julie Kenward
06-03-2009, 09:38 PM
I'm usually the first one to holler about flashback but you know it kind of gives that sleezy slimy look to the image so yes, I'd tone it down a little but I'd leave some in because it does convey the slippery part of the creature.

My question is...what was your exposure time? ISO 100 in total darkness....was it a long exposure?

Marko Matic
06-03-2009, 10:00 PM
It was 1/250 but It was hot with flash on a bracket. They appear to constantly move (especially the antennas) when not in shell so I could forget about tripod work. I thought about better lighting but I would have required some stronger flash output with big diffusers, which I dont have. I could not do it with the smaller flash because the snails would change position by the time you setup the lighting setup.

Roman Kurywczak
06-04-2009, 06:54 PM
HI Marko,
You probably could have gotten away with 1/125 of a second.......flash would have frozen the movement well (it is a snail after all!)......but you may also want to use a diffuser over the flash also (Piece of white bedsheet will work and it's free) or many are availabe at a reasonable price. As it was total darkness.....this may help a bit.....but not totally remove the flash spots. You could also use a flashlight to help illuminate the snail. All things considered...not too bad!

Marko Matic
06-05-2009, 11:18 AM
Thnx for the tips Roman.