PDA

View Full Version : Ngumpan Cliff

John Cooper
02-02-2008, 08:48 PM
North west, Western Australia. Towing a caravan around Australia, I passed this formation about mid-afternoon. The light was unfavourable and no where safe to pull a van off-road so I continued on 100 km to Caravan Park, parked the van and drove back just as sun was setting. Took several variations but vertical seemed to work best.

Canon EOS 3, Canon 17-40mm at approx 24mm, Velvia 50, F22, Tripod.

Chris Starbuck
02-03-2008, 10:26 AM
Well, not having made the drive myself :D, I think it was well worth it! Beautiful light on a beautiful scene. I like your choice of foreground "anchor"; so close in color and shape to the distant butte, but of an entirely different character.

Chris

Alfred Forns
02-03-2008, 10:47 PM
Some intense light here John !!!!!!! Love the foreground elements Excellent placement with good separation form the lighter color on the back !!! Strong image !!!!

Bret Edge
02-04-2008, 12:52 AM
You've captured a beautiful scene in lovely light, John. I really like how some of the FG pebbles are catching the light while others are not. My only nit is that I see a halo around the peaks that may be a sharpening or jpeg artifact. Regardless, a very nice image that was well worth the drive.

Robert Amoruso
02-04-2008, 07:37 AM
For JPG posting, halos don't bother me much. If you were going to post this on your website, then by all means control them better.

A bit less saturation may be called for here. I find myself wanting a bit, just a bit more more on the sides. Feels tight to me.

I those reading the thread and to John, note that in this post and many others, he makes excellent use of the vertical format. GO VERTICAL when the subject calls for it. Nice work.

D. Robert Franz
02-07-2008, 06:26 PM
Really like this image. Fine balance and composition......