PDA

View Full Version : Ardverk dawn

Tom Dolezal
06-03-2009, 12:19 AM
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u314/erding/Landscape/_69I5746__b-Edit-Edit.jpg

Another dawn view at Loch Assynt in NW Scotland.

Technical: Canon 1Ds Mk3, Canon 16-35 Mk2,, focal length 16mm, f/11, 1/60, 0 EV, ISO 200, 0 EV, AV mode

C&C always welcome.

Thank you for looking.

Randy Stout
06-03-2009, 09:48 AM
Tom:

This isn't my usual forum, so take it with a grain of salt, but I think that the image needs to be cropped up from the bottom to about the level of the base of the ruins/ start of water. I don't think the large shadow area on the left adds to the image, not enough detail in there to be interesting.

Hopefully others will chime in for you.

Thanks for sharing.

Randy

David Thomasson
06-03-2009, 11:35 AM
Beautiful composition, color, light. The long shadow makes an effective leading line and also defines the light, which
is mainly what this image is about. The shadow details don't matter; they should remain indistinct. I would enhance the light
with a gradient as illustrated below. I just used a levels adjustment layer. Also shifted the sky color just a bit away from the greens.
Very nice work indeed on this, Tom.

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/369/dawn.gif

Randy Stout
06-03-2009, 12:11 PM
Tom:

This is why I love BPN, lots of differing opinions. Ultimately, it depends on your story, what you want to tell.
To me, the ruins are what makes the picture. I appreciate what David did, but went ahead and tweaked it a bit along the lines of my original suggestion. 1) lightened the ruins so you can see a bit more detail, lightened the foreground in shadow, cropped up and a bit from the right.

You have to be the judge what works for you. It may very well be that your original is best, for you!

Cheers

Randy

Tom Dolezal
06-04-2009, 12:28 AM
Beautiful composition, color, light. The long shadow makes an effective leading line and also defines the light, which
is mainly what this image is about. The shadow details don't matter; they should remain indistinct. I would enhance the light
with a gradient as illustrated below. I just used a levels adjustment layer. Also shifted the sky color just a bit away from the greens.
Very nice work indeed on this, Tom.

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/369/dawn.gif

Thank you very much for your comments and your edit Dave. My take on this scene is that the primary subject is the sunburst through the tower window with the light play between the shadow on the LH to and the sunlight areas on the RH with everything else being a backdrop. Like how you presented your edit - how did you do that?

Tom Dolezal
06-04-2009, 12:34 AM
Tom:

This is why I love BPN, lots of differing opinions. Ultimately, it depends on your story, what you want to tell.
To me, the ruins are what makes the picture. I appreciate what David did, but went ahead and tweaked it a bit along the lines of my original suggestion. 1) lightened the ruins so you can see a bit more detail, lightened the foreground in shadow, cropped up and a bit from the right.

You have to be the judge what works for you. It may very well be that your original is best, for you!

Cheers

Randy

Thanks for your comments and edit Randy. I think its very much a case of different eyes seeing different things in a image and I consider this image is open to a variety of different edits. From my perspective I looked to present the actual scene as I saw it whilst it was still fresh in my mind. I do see a lot of possibilities where 'artistic license' can be applied to the PP to produce other variations.

Tom

David Thomasson
06-04-2009, 08:07 AM
Thank you very much for your comments and your edit Dave. My take on this scene is that the primary subject is the sunburst through the tower window with the light play between the shadow on the LH to and the sunlight areas on the RH with everything else being a backdrop. Like how you presented your edit - how did you do that?

What I posted is an animated gif. Photoshop has very good help files on how to create them. It's fairly easy.

I somewhat exaggerated the brightening effect (on the green grass) that I was suggesting. I think brightening the sunlit area nearest the ruins
helps to pull the eye toward the sunburst -- which is the dominant element in any case. Again, very fine work on your part.

Tom Dolezal
06-04-2009, 02:07 PM
What I posted is an animated gif. Photoshop has very good help files on how to create them. It's fairly easy.

I somewhat exaggerated the brightening effect (on the green grass) that I was suggesting. I think brightening the sunlit area nearest the ruins
helps to pull the eye toward the sunburst -- which is the dominant element in any case. Again, very fine work on your part.

Thanks for that David - much appreciated.

Roman Kurywczak
06-04-2009, 06:26 PM
Hey Tom,
One of your strongest compositionally. The sunburst works very well. I do like the re-post by both and am especially fond of Randy's as I like a bit of detail in the shadows. But very nicely composed by you.

Robert Amoruso
06-09-2009, 05:59 AM
Tom,

The sunburst with the ruins works very well. The flow of the clouds in the sky are a good leading line and the water helps to balance the image well on the right.