PDA

View Full Version : Can This Shot Be Saved?

jeffdjohnston
02-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Hi,

First post. I'd like to save this shot, but am struggling with the approach in Photoshop. I'm familiar with enlarging the canvas and cloning, but have no idea about re-creating the bird's wing. Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks,

Jeff Johnston

Gus Hallgren
02-03-2008, 01:19 PM
Hi, Maybe along these lines? What I did was, using PSP Xl (Like their clone better than CS3)first caputered the tip of the right wing, then I flipped it horizontaly, then used free rotate right, 2 rotates at 10 degrees, anr then one at 2 for a toal of 22. Then cloned to fit. With a bit more patience I could have made the right leading edge perfect, but using 83 years young as an excuse I needed my 10 AM break. I'm jealous of the magnificent photo you captured . . . Uncle Gus

jeffdjohnston
02-03-2008, 01:33 PM
Uncle Gus -

Thanks so much for investing your time on this. I've played with that approach in PS, but had not been successful enough to think it might work. Your work has lead me to believe that, with more effort and patience, I can probably salvage it. Thanks as well for your kind words. Like most of my best work, it was an accident.:D

Pat Nighswander
02-03-2008, 01:56 PM
Great save and worth saving...

Alfred Forns
02-03-2008, 02:14 PM
Excellent work Gus !!!!!! That was one image worth saving !!!! Love the action !!!!

Nonda Surratt
02-03-2008, 02:27 PM
Great capture and great fix!!! Good going!

Gus Hallgren
02-03-2008, 03:53 PM
Hi Folks, Had my refreshments, thought to my self I can do a better restoration using Robert O'Toole's Quick Mask with CS3, so, opened up the original image to fit workspace by clinking hand in toolbar twice. Pressed Q, for Quick Mask, pressed B for brush, 0 hardness about size 90, painted top part of right wing I wanted, pressed Q, now out of quick Mask, everything selected with dancing ants. Pressed Ctrl+Shift+i to invert and only had tip of wing selected..now I wanted tip only in it's own window to rotate it to proper position, so I pressed Ctrl+J to create a layer copy . . . Then I opened a new small window, selected it, then pressed Ctrl+V to paste in window. When I had wingtip in small window, I flipped it horizontal,
then started rotating trial & error. Ctrl+E on original Eagle photo to give it a rest while working on wingtip.When satisfied with wingtip, I used the create layer copy and paste onto original eagle photo, pessed V to move it in place on the left side, Ctrl+E to start anew, then used Quick Mask to move 4 little pieces into place. Hope you like it. All the easy tutorial is in Robert O'Tooler's APTATS-1 obtained from Arthur Morris's www.birdsasart.com (http://www.birdsasart.com) along with Digital Basics download with free update now out, and Photography II CD which has shown me the way out of the darkness . . . Thanks Robert & Artie . . . Keep smiling Uncle Gus

Rod Wiley
02-03-2008, 04:57 PM
I did this real quick, but in the full size file it would make an 8X10. I added to the sides as well as dodged a little of the darkness from the tail feathers. Hope this helps

www.rjwileyphoto.com (http://www.rjwileyphoto.com)

jeffdjohnston
02-03-2008, 05:19 PM
Amazing work guys. I might just make something out of this yet. :)

Gus Hallgren
02-03-2008, 06:19 PM
Hi Rod, I like your version, well done! Also liked your brightening of birds that reveals more detail. Will have to get into dodging . . . Gus:D

Robert O'Toole
02-03-2008, 08:57 PM
Hi Jeff,

Working on images all day today for a client and I didnt plan on spending much time on BPN but I could resist helping out on this one. At 20-25 minutes, repair was a little bit more time consuming than normall since the the file was small and already sharpened. One of the last steps that took time was I had to go back in and sharpen all the edges to create halos to match the rest of the image. I think it looks okay. Hope you like it.

Steps:

WB
Add canvas sides and top.
Blend the added canvas
Used APTATS Quick Mask technique to copy underwing and edges.
Blend the selection edges
Opened up shadowed areas with a Quick Mask
Selected highlights with Quick Mask and changed blend mode to Multiply.
Selected and sharpened wing edges with Quick Masks to match (halos)
Flattened and re-sized back down to 800 px.

Let me know if you need any more info on the above Jeff.

Robert

jeffdjohnston
02-03-2008, 10:57 PM
Robert,

Wow! I certainly didn't expect to have so much effort invested in this image. I'm grateful to you and the other gentlemen who spent their time to improve the original.

I've invested in the APTATS training and its been quite useful in the limited ways I've employed it. I tried, much less successfully I might add, to modify the image this afternoon.

I appreciate you listing the steps you used to create your version. I'm right with you until step 5. I'm not sure what you mean exactly when you "blend" after using the Quick Mask to copy. I'm not familiar at all with using Quick Masks to improve shadows or sharpen or changing blending to multiply. Those are things I'll have to learn because I really would like to achieve the same type of look on a larger version of the file. Thanks for showing me it can be done.

Regards,

Jeff

Arthur Morris
02-04-2008, 06:20 AM
Gus, Thanks for the plugs, but in your version the added bend of the wing was done very sloppily. Rod and Robert O'Toole (who invented the whole deal) did very nicely. I use the techniques described in detail in APTATS on 80% of my images to make a great variety of selections, and on many images I use the QMs many times. Do understand that 95+% of my images look pretty much as they did when they came out of the camera. Adding wing parts or wing tips is a rare deal as it can be fairly time consuming but with a really great image it is THE best way.

Later and love, artie

Robert O'Toole
02-04-2008, 09:45 AM
Robert,

I appreciate you listing the steps you used to create your version. I'm right with you until step 5. I'm not sure what you mean exactly when you "blend" after using the Quick Mask to copy. I'm not familiar at all with using Quick Masks to improve shadows or sharpen or changing blending to multiply. Those are things I'll have to learn because I really would like to achieve the same type of look on a larger version of the file. Thanks for showing me it can be done.

Hi Jeff

Thanks I dont mind helping at all, in fact thats why I am here in BPN. So if you need any help anytime just ask.

Sorry for the unclear answer, should read "blend edges". This step is where I blend the edges of a selection with a eraser or other tool, even warp or liquify sometimes, to make it blend in to the origional.

Robert

Gus Hallgren
02-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Hi Arthur, Have to agree with you, did clean up the edges on a later one, however, as you say, it's takes a lot of time, and the idea was just to show that their were techniques out there. Best regards . . . Gus

Robert Amoruso
02-06-2008, 02:36 PM
Some excellent display of PS skill here. When I got to Rod and Robert's version it is what I envisioned as the correct fix. Nice work guys.

Harold Davis
02-06-2008, 05:06 PM
Nice job guys. that's some excellent work!!!