PDA

View Full Version : Early morning clouds

thijs broekkamp
06-02-2009, 02:34 PM
This is my first real landscape picture. This was in the morning in the Slufter in Texel, Netherlands. I like to hear what you think about it!

Sony a200 with sigma 10-20mm
1/50th
f 16
iso 100
From tripod

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w286/wildlife13/DSC00856bwrkt.jpg

Dave Mills
06-02-2009, 06:45 PM
Hi Thijs. I liked your basic composition and took the liberty to try and bring it up a bit more. In the original the bottom was a silouette. I was surprised when I brought it into PS and saw that I could bring up the detail. Nothing wrong with the silouette but thought I would show another look to the image. I thought I would lighten the sky a bit for my taste. I used S/H and levels selectively on the sky and silouette. I went into Nik Color Efex and used the polarizer on the whole image and brill/warmth on the sky. I quickly filled in some of the darker grass areas. I also used a minimal contrast adj on the sky...
In the future if you want detail to show in the darker area(in this case the sil) you should look into a 2 or 3 stop split ND filter....
I realise I changed the mood quite a bit but just thought I would show you another possibility

Roman Kurywczak
06-02-2009, 07:54 PM
Hi Thijs,
Your basic idea of minimizing the FG was a good one and the mountain does make a nice leading line to the sun. Daves re-post really brought out the feel of sunrise and definitely brought out more of the textures in the sky. Nice job on the first landscape and looking forward to more!

thijs broekkamp
06-03-2009, 01:27 AM
Thanks for the comments guys! The repost looks much better! I'm going to work on it in photoshop with the orginal raw file. Thanks for editing the photo:)

Robert Amoruso
06-09-2009, 06:01 AM
Thijs,

Welcome to the landscape forum. Nice first post. Dave's rework really makes the image shine but you did well composing it and minimizing the FG. Looking forward to more images from you.

Arthur Morris
06-14-2009, 06:07 AM
Dave Mills is the real deal and so is the repost. Another option would be to go with the lighter sky while balckening the original foreground to a pure SILH (but with the horizon grasses making the selection would be difficult).