PDA

View Full Version : Lazy Day Green Heron

Charles Wesley
06-02-2009, 01:33 PM
This is a photo in a series. He got progressively more into hunting with each image. Should have backed off flash a little.

Canon EOS- 1D, EF 500 f/ 4.0 L, 1.4 TC, 550 EX with BB and tripod with Wimberley. My exposure was 1/60 sec. @ f/5.6 400 ISO.

Enjoy...

Randy Stout
06-02-2009, 01:42 PM
Charles:

I like the pose, perch and sharpness. Good head angle.

I do agree about the flash, but you should be able to really tweak that in levels and curves. I am slightly bothered by all the bright spots in the water, and perhaps a few minutes with a clone or patch tool would smooth out some of the more bothersome ones.

There is some noise in the darker areas of BG.

Hope to see more from this series.

Randy

Randy Stout
06-02-2009, 01:51 PM
Charles:

I had minute, so did a few tweaks along the lines mentioned above.

1)lowered midtones just a bit
2)very slight reverse S curve to decrease contrast
3) patched out a few of the white spots in water - more to do if you want to go that way

For me, this helps reduce the flashed look, but maintains the original balance fairly well.

Just an option or two to try.

Randy

Charles Wesley
06-02-2009, 01:57 PM
Randy,

Thanks for the PS help. The water had loads of feathers and trash.
I see we still have a HL at tip of snag near feet. I tend to go for more
contrast in my photos.

Nice improvement...

Charles Wesley
06-02-2009, 03:11 PM
Peter,

Not sure what I dialed on flash. Starting PT on my knee this week that's why I'm posting an older image. Totally agree with your assessment.

Go Roger get #14 this Sunday. Sorry that's how I hurt my knee. I love tennis...

Fabs Forns
06-02-2009, 03:46 PM
I'm also bothered by the spots in the water, the image deserves for you to take the time. I like Randy's repost but would like to add more black to the neutrals in Selective colors, the chest and head look to light to me.

Axel Hildebrandt
06-02-2009, 05:21 PM
Details, pose and perch look good. As mentioned, it does look overflashed and you could clone out the white spots in the water.

Charles Glatzer
06-02-2009, 07:53 PM
Charlie,

I am not sure the image appears over-flashed, as opposed to perhaps excessively bright as presented. Knowing the exact location, I would only make the entire image darker. As to the removal of the water
highlights...you will need to draw your own conclusion and line in the sand.

Warm Regards, and I hope the knee fairs well.

Chas

Stu Bowie
06-03-2009, 12:27 AM
I like the pose, his perch, detail and colours. I would clean up the water. Randy's repost works well.

Charles Wesley
06-03-2009, 04:01 PM
Chas,

Your correct on the image not being over- flashed. The problem was in my post processing. Today I posted another image in this series. I did a reverse s curve in CS4 and brought the brightness level down as you suggest. I need to back off on increasing contrast in PS. Both you and R.S. taught me better at the First Coast Birding & Nature Festival.

Thanks for asking about my knee. Unfortunately its partially frozen and behind schedule. My PT begins Friday. You might hear me yelling all the way up to N.C. I'm really upset. Never had a sports injury like this one...