PDA

View Full Version : Sandwich Tern Splash Down

Steve Leach
06-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Taken into the sun to get back light on wings and water.
A bit abstract as the wings seem to mirror the directions of the splash, so its not your standard shot and composition because you do not see the birds face or eyes. Interested to know if it works for others. Any other critique welcome.

1/1250th
f5.6
ISO 125
Canon 40D
Canon 100-400L at 400mm
Uncropped

Taken at Ft DeSoto, North Beach Lagoon in the early morning facing back towards the Lemonade Stand on 6/1/09 with wind at my back, sun in my face.

Randy Stout
06-02-2009, 01:33 PM
Steve:

Good OOTB thinking. As a stand alone image, not being able to see the head makes it tough, although the water splashing, backlit wings, all good. I would crop up a modest amount from the bottom, as all the action is in the upper 1/2 of the frame.

If you had a series, with one just prior to this, and a second one as he took off, I think it could be quite effective.

Thanks for sharing!

Randy

Axel Hildebrandt
06-02-2009, 05:14 PM
I like the idea and backlight. Adding to Randy's suggestions, it looks as if it needs some CW rotation and I would sharpen the wings more.

Steve Leach
06-03-2009, 08:42 AM
Thanks Randy,
I see your crop suggestion now and will try that one. Yes I do have the series from in air, dive, splash down, this one, then two take off frames. I was wondering about keeping this one in the series, with the crop I may just be able to do that.

Axel, thanks for the catch on the CW, I seem to always shoot a touch tilted to the right. Nice catch.

Appreciate the look, comments and help on different views on this one.

WIlliam Maroldo
06-04-2009, 12:01 AM
The composition is quite good.The subject is almost completely obscured by being submerged and there is a lot of distracting spray. If more of the bird was visible, and you managed to somehow lessen the distracting qualities of the entire image covered by the water spraying, I could see it working, but not now. Of course this is only an opinion. Regards~Bill