PDA

View Full Version : Bulbophyllum grandiflorum

John Lowin
06-02-2009, 11:35 AM
This is another species orchid from my collection. A warm growing epiphyte found in Sumatra, the Celebes, the Moluccas, and New Guinea at elevations of 100 to 800 meters. Found in primary rainforests on the lower trunks of large trees. they bloom on a basal, erect to arching, to 10" [to 25 cm] long, single flowered, green inflorescence with foul smelling flowers that is longer than the leaves and occurs in the fall.

Unfortunately, I had to include a small portion of its container if I wanted to show it's growing habit. Hope you like it anyway. C and C welcome, I'm here to learn. - John

f/25 0.80s ISO 640
Canon 1D MkII
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Gitzo CF 1228 tripod
Arca Swiss B1 Ball Head

Julie Kenward
06-02-2009, 12:21 PM
John, I really like the yellow-to-green color span in this image. For some reason the leaves and roots feel a bit soft compared to the leaves of the plant. Is that because they are more "waxy" in nature or do you think this is a DOF choice? In any case, I do like it very much - just wish it had a tiny bit more sharpness to the bottom half of the plant.

Jerry van Dijk
06-02-2009, 01:32 PM
Hi John, very nice specimen! Like it as presented, but would suggest a dark background. I'm guessing it will do wonders for the nice green colors, making them really pop out.

Fabs Forns
06-02-2009, 03:56 PM
Very nice as presented, John, neat and crispy, with good composition.

Don Berendsen
06-02-2009, 09:25 PM
Beautiful blossom and presentation John, the background hues work exceptionally well. The comp is nice except it feels a bit cramped at the top, perhaps adding a bit more space there would help.

John Lowin
06-03-2009, 07:48 AM
Here is a repost addressing Julie's and Don's issues. Do you like this better? - John

John, I really like the yellow-to-green color span in this image. For some reason the leaves and roots feel a bit soft compared to the leaves of the plant. Is that because they are more "waxy" in nature or do you think this is a DOF choice? In any case, I do like it very much - just wish it had a tiny bit more sharpness to the bottom half of the plant.