PDA

View Full Version : Falcon Training#2 CAPTIVITY

Stu Bowie
06-02-2009, 10:08 AM
I posted a similar image a while back, but a completely different flight angle than this. This was taken at a rehab center near Cape Town. These birds have normally been injured, and it is up to the center to get them back, so they can be released and fend for themselves. A trainer on the ground has a piece of bait that he swings around on a long piece of rope. The falcon is released into the air, where he hovers, then dives down to try and get the bait. Most times he is unsuccessful, but for a reason for him to get "fit". By climbing to altitude and diving down spends energy, thus getting him fit. After only a few attempts, the trainer slows the swing down for the falcon to capture his bait. This was taken as he turned to dive down.

Canon 50D
100-400L IS USM @ 400mm
1/1600
F/8
ISO 400

Exp Comp +0.33
Hand Held

Axel Hildebrandt
06-02-2009, 10:42 AM
I like the eye contact, underwing details and BG and might try a vertical crop.

Randy Stout
06-02-2009, 11:09 AM
Stuart:

I appreciate the back story, always adds to the image.

Lovely BG,well exposed.

I would be tempted to add a bit more space to the right. I appreciate Axels point, but for me, more to the right would work well. The action is on the diagonal towards the right.

Love to see these guys. Hope he makes it OK.

Randy

Kim Rollins
06-02-2009, 11:13 AM
Stuart -
Good capture of position on this one. This is a wonderful image of the falcon. It is a lot of fun to go out with a Falconer and see them work these birds. Close up and personal at times and I have had the opportunity as several friend are Falconers.

I think it could use a bit more Sharpening but mostly to the dark pixels and little to the light ones (5 to 1 or there about).

Chris Kotze
06-02-2009, 11:37 AM
Great capture and detail. Must be great to see the trainer working with these guys. Thanks for sharing

Kobus Tollig
06-02-2009, 12:41 PM
Ditto Randy but you did well.

Fabs Forns
06-02-2009, 05:07 PM
Very good placement in the frame and lots of detail, thanks for sharing, Stuart!

Dave Barnes
06-03-2009, 02:44 AM
Well captured Stu, ditto Randy on the comp. Have you tried a pano crop with more canvas on the right?

Stu Bowie
06-03-2009, 02:37 PM
Thank you all so much.