PDA

View Full Version : Southern Utah

John Blumenkamp
06-01-2009, 11:00 PM
Seems like it's been awhile since I posted something, but a day doesn't go by I'm not thinking and breathing photography (I'm sure you all understand ;)). This is a capture from earlier in May west of Moab, Utah and out along the trail leading to Corona Arch.

40D @ 38mm
1/100 f/11 iso100

Thanks for looking!
John

Roman Kurywczak
06-02-2009, 07:49 PM
Hey John,
I like the seperation of the trees and placement in the frame. I've been to corona a few times myself and found the hike up almost as interesting as the Arch. I know the scale of that wall as i have been there but do wonder if people are getting a sense of it? I am going to try and use some WA lenses and put those trees closer in the FG with the huge walls......maybe then it will show the scale better.....but not sure. If you beat me there.....let me know if it works! Color and exposure are right on and the sky adds a nice touch which nicely contrasts the oranges!

Paul Marcellini
06-06-2009, 07:15 PM
The trees do add a nice sense of scale and add a focal point. Without them this wouldn't do much for me, the wall is rather blank in feature but I like the color contrast and its great to have some clouds too. So overall a successful image, I think Roman's idea of a wider angle and closer to the trees might be very nice as well.

Ed Cordes
06-07-2009, 12:14 PM
I also know the location and I like the perspective of the vertical comp.

As far as scale goes the only image I have that truly shows the real impact of the size of the cliff is an image my wife took of me making the hike just under the pot hole arch off the frame here. She was back at the place where the cable assist with foot holes cut into the rock. She used a 400 mm lens and I look like a white speck below the pot hole. Unless I point it out people who have not been there never pick it out!

Jeffrey Sipress
06-07-2009, 12:31 PM
A well exposed image, but I'm afraid it has no particular center of attraction for me.

Robert Amoruso
06-09-2009, 06:03 AM
Agree that the trees help to make the image and balance the huge rock face. Well done John.