PDA

View Full Version : Gentoo chick attacked by skua

Charles Glatzer
06-01-2009, 03:45 PM
This image is copyrighted material as indicated, and is watermarked! Unauthorized use or reproduction for any reason is prohibited

Falklands '09

Thought this one would help to illustrate the story telling concept. I photographed the entire skua attack sequence from initial assault to death on my belly with a 70-200 and then 24-70. It was tough to watch, but if you disrupted the attack the skuas would simply pick out another chick.

1Ds Mark III, 24-70mm
Manual, incident (no comp), 1/1600 @ f/8, ISO 400
Post-production- LR2, CS4

See you where there is light, or at the computer

Best,

Chas <!-- / message --><!-- / message -->

Ramon M. Casares
06-01-2009, 04:25 PM
I don't see any reason to disrupted the attack, this is just nature, and the image tells a great story, the adult in the BG adds a lot of drama to the whole scene IMO, light was not the best but with such a natural moment, I really don't mind that much. Congratulations!

Doug Brown
06-01-2009, 06:32 PM
I'm sure scenes like this are tough to bear witness to, but as you point out, this is the natural order. Compelling stuff.

Grace Scalzo
06-02-2009, 10:43 AM
The helpless expression of the parent completes the story. Well told.

Mike Lentz
06-02-2009, 11:05 AM
It seems by the lack of response that others were torn on what to say. I think you captured a natural (albeit sad) moment perfectly. The eye level perspective adds to the moment as though the viewer is at the scene and the clouds an added BG bonus!

I just Googled "Skua". They sure seem to be brutes!

Steve Maxson
06-02-2009, 12:28 PM
Very nice action captured here, Chas. Skuas have to eat too - too bad they are are not well adapted to quickly kill large prey like this. My guess is that the adult bird is not actually the parent of this chick. With chicks this large it is likely that both parents are at sea foraging. The adult is obviously concerned, but I think (based on personal experience) that if it was the parent it could successfully drive off this skua.

Steve Canuel
06-02-2009, 09:01 PM
As you said, tough to watch/look at but you very nicely captured the ruthlessness/determination to kill/eat of the Skua, the fear of the chick, and the concern of the adult.