PDA

View Full Version : Polar bear w/ cubs

Charles Glatzer
06-01-2009, 02:32 PM
This image is copyrighted material as indicated, and is watermarked! Unauthorized use or reproduction for any reason is prohibited

Churchill

With over 40 bear (blk, brown, spirit, polar) workshops under my belt, I can say without a doubt... bears are among my favorite subjects. Polar bears are incredible and I am looking forward to heading back to Churchill again this winter.

1Ds Mark III, 300 f/2.8IS
Manual, spot off snow + 2 EV, 1/1250 @ f/8, ISO 400
Post-production- LR2, CS4

See you where there is light, or at the computer

Best,

Chas <!-- / message -->

Roman Kurywczak
06-01-2009, 03:17 PM
Hi Chas,
Very nice on the exposure and also on the seperation. I do have to ask....why no crop off the top? I find the meltwater....even though it is part of the environs....to me detracts from the overall scene and unbalances it. I find cropping about 1/2 inch above the ice mound, directly in line above mom's head, seems to strengthen both the impact of the bears and the ice. People can easily browser crop to see what I mean.... so let's see what others chime in. Everything else is right on for my tastes. Nicely done!

Charles Glatzer
06-01-2009, 03:38 PM
Roman,

I thought about cropping the water for the web, but decided it told a greater story as presented; the bears waiting for the bay to freeze to hunt seals. Additionally, I think the water inclusion provides a better sense of scale and depth perception. For me this image is not just about the bears.

Best,

Chas

Dave Mills
06-01-2009, 03:57 PM
Charles, I agree with Roman on the good exposure and separation. I also did a browser crop and find(IMO) the image is much stronger cropped. I would never know the pool of water was connected to a bay by looking at the image. Cropped the image still shows the environment and makes the bears more dominant.

Roman Kurywczak
06-01-2009, 05:15 PM
Hi Chas,
Dave summed up my feelings well after your response.....I wasn't there so I had no idea of the bay ice-melt from the presented image....hence my original comment. As there is no real sign/feel of the bay....will stick with my original aseesment but will always value what others feel!

Alfred Forns
06-01-2009, 10:34 PM
Hi Chas

I have been looking at the image for a while and see your point after your explanation but would never would have thought about it. Not sure how many people will see that point? Have to agree its a stronger image with the top crop.

Charles Glatzer
06-01-2009, 10:54 PM
Hey All,

Thanks for the input, greatly appreciated. We often get caught up in making of the image, and not the objectivity. My wife will often like a similar, but slightly different image than the one I have chosen.

If I were to print/enter this for competition I would eliminate the water ;).

Warmest Regards to all,

Chas

Stu Bowie
06-02-2009, 12:40 PM
Charles, excellent exposure, and I like the angle at which you have captured this. It shows the enviroment nicely. I feel the water adds to the image. Thanks for sharing.

Marina Scarr
06-02-2009, 06:19 PM
I have to second Stuart on the water adding yet another dimension to the environment. It may well be a more powerful image cropped, but it tells a broader story as is. As presented, it all ties together. Thank you for sharing your powerful images.

Mike Tracy
06-02-2009, 08:07 PM
Would it have been possible to capture this frame from a lower perspective ? If so the water would have played more of a role and given even a greater sense of perspective and a additional element.

I like it as is or cropped per suggested. Technically spot on as would be expected from you.

Sabyasachi Patra
06-03-2009, 02:52 AM
Hi Chas,
I don't know the height of the vehicles from which you photograph. In this image, I would have liked to go down lower to possibly include more of the bay and would have used a narrow aperture, atleast by one stop. Also, I have no idea whether ISO 800 is acceptable for your requirements. The lower angle to include more of bay might have helped in conveying the message that bears are waiting for the water to freeze.

If lower angle was not possible to include the bay as suggested, then I would have gone with Roman's crop suggestion. I am sure it is fun to watch these polar bears, especially with cubs. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Charles Glatzer
06-03-2009, 08:13 AM
The vantage point from our buggy was fixed, other images from our around the town via 4x4 days have a ground level perspective. I have both wider views and tighter views of the cubs covering them from all focal lengths at my disposal, the longer guns negating the higher angle.

I use whatever ISO is necessary to capture the vision as I see fit.

Thanks for the comments,

Chas

Hi Chas,
I don't know the height of the vehicles from which you photograph. In this image, I would have liked to go down lower to possibly include more of the bay and would have used a narrow aperture, atleast by one stop. Also, I have no idea whether ISO 800 is acceptable for your requirements. The lower angle to include more of bay might have helped in conveying the message that bears are waiting for the water to freeze.

If lower angle was not possible to include the bay as suggested, then I would have gone with Roman's crop suggestion. I am sure it is fun to watch these polar bears, especially with cubs. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Ákos Lumnitzer
06-04-2009, 07:42 PM
I like the sense of scale in your image Charles. It conveys such grandeur. I am at two minds about the water in the ULC. I am leaning towards not having it there, but see your point. :)