PDA

View Full Version : Reddish nap

Lorant Voros
06-01-2009, 01:33 PM
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/3186/090524riolagartos3089ma.jpg

I got married in the beginning of the month in Mexico. Despite all the flu problems we could have the ceremony and 2 days later we took off to the South of Mexico. We spent some days in Rio Lagartos...we woke up at 4:30AM every morning to go and take pictures. My wife could deal with it and she doesn't want to divorce, so we have a good chance for a long lasting happy marriage.

Thanks for looking. Comments and critics are welcome.

Many thanks to Pecas and Vicente from www.riolagartosexpeditions.com

1DMKIII+500mm f:4
ISO 200
f:4
1/1250

Ramon M. Casares
06-01-2009, 01:41 PM
My only suggestion would be to tone down the perch, evrything elese, IMO, is terrific! Congratulations!

Randy Stout
06-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Lorant:

I really like the composition. I do agree with Ramon about the perch. I actually think the entire image is a bit bright.

The only other small comment, I wish the horizon didn't go through their heads. If you could have grown quickly, that would have helped. :)

Randy

Randy Stout
06-01-2009, 02:25 PM
Lorant:

I had a minute, so did a few tweaks.

1)Lowered overall image contrast a bit
2)Moved the midtone slider to darken the image a bit
3) selectively lowered the brightness of the perch

I think this is a very nice, image, just some options to help improve it, IMHO.

Thanks

Randy

Lorant Voros
06-01-2009, 02:26 PM
Thanks Ramon and Randy.

Randy, I was hoping you'd get back on this image. I love your critics on this forum and I know you like reddish egrets. I agree with toning down the perch and the horizon going through the head. I will try to tone down the entire image, though it looks good on my laptop screen. I don't have other monitors.

Thanks a lot.

Randy Stout
06-01-2009, 02:38 PM
Lorant:

I have been fooled by my laptop. By their nature, they get moved around into different lighting conditions, and it is very hard to judge brightness. I would always try to make my final edit under controlled conditions/illumination, so you get consistent results.

Does the image on the site look the same as the original on your screen?

Randy

PS: Thank you for the compliment. I try to be helpful. I learn a lot too!

Lorant Voros
06-01-2009, 02:42 PM
No, it doesn't....strange, I converted to sRGB. The egrets look like your correction; the perch is brighter.

I would love to have a monitor, but I have been traveling in the last 7 years...will have one when I settle down.

Your version looks a lot better. Thanks for the suggestions. I will double check the brightness between my original and the post next time.

Randy Stout
06-01-2009, 02:49 PM
Lorant:

It is a bit of a pain, but when in doubt, I preview every image I post to the site before submitting it. If there is a significant discrepancy, I go back and tweak my file and re preview it, to be sure it looks good on the site, before posting.

Look forward to your next one!

Randy

Tim Zurowski
06-01-2009, 04:50 PM
A very beautiful image with exellent comp Lorant. I do however agree that overall it sems too bright :)

Arthur Morris
06-01-2009, 06:39 PM
Nicely designed image. Mazel tov on your marriage. Randy did a good job of toning down the water and the perch but he darkened the birds too, too much.... The front bird's head is turned slightly away and the horizon line going through the birds' heads is distracting.

Octavio Campos Salles
06-01-2009, 09:21 PM
Beautiful composition, very nice setting. It is overexposed though, probably can be fixed to some extent working on the RAW.

Stu Bowie
06-02-2009, 12:21 AM
Lorant, super comp, and love the similar poses from the two. Both sharp with good detail, and colours, and agree to tone down the perch. Randy's repost with the perch works well.