View Full Version : Eagle landing

Ben Egbert
01-01-2008, 09:52 PM
Here is an eagle from Couer d Alene Lake Id,

Fabs Forns
01-01-2008, 10:02 PM
HI Ben,

Big welcome to BPN

It is hard for us to evaluate an image without the technical data.

Wish you had a better light angle and I see a halo around the bird, sharpening of shadow/highlight.

Hope your experience here is a good and productive one!

George DeCamp
01-01-2008, 10:06 PM
Hey Ben!

Welcome to BPN!

Long way from home to find the Eagle, I thought there were some in Washington! ;)

Good detail on the bird and looks like the exposure is pretty good. What you needed here is to take a few steps to the left to get that wing in the open sky and out from behind the branch. Also the angle is pretty steep, may benefit from a few steps back as well. Would like to know the lens used and the techs next time.

Keep'em coming Ben!!!

Mike McCarthy
01-01-2008, 10:12 PM
Welcome to the forum Ben. Always nice to see a "baldy" posted. Nice capture. I like the look and eye on this image. The image is a bit crowded and could use some more space. Negative space is important compositionaly. I would have also liked to see that tree not cutting off (or blending into ) the wing. Kind of distracting. Perhaps a different angle of view (moving would have helped). Light seems a bit harsh also, but you did retain some detail.

Ben Egbert
01-01-2008, 10:16 PM
HI Ben,

Big welcome to BPN

It is hard for us to evaluate an image without the technical data.

Ok, 5D, 500f4 with 1.4X on a Gitzo.Sidekick set-up. Cropped to aspect ratio only. IS0400, 1/1250sec, f7.1

Wish you had a better light angle and I see a halo around the bird, sharpening of shadow/highlight.

Right, I had to do a quick redo to get it small enough for the forum rules, I should have avoided my last output sharpening. I also had to cut quality to get file size down. I wlll need to learn a new process for this size, I normally do 1024 for my gallery.

Hope your experience here is a good and productive one!

Thanks, looking forward to it.

Ben Egbert
01-01-2008, 10:24 PM
Hmm, Coure d Alene is sort of a suburb of Spokane, but don't tell the Idaho folks thathttp://birdphotographers.net/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif

Been working this tree for several years, about the only angle possible with back light. Need a better beamer, but they don't fit my 430EX flash.

Glenn Bartley
01-01-2008, 11:34 PM
Nice dynamic shot of this guy.

Looking forward to seeing more :)

Happy new year!