PDA

View Full Version : Greenfinch

Pete Woods
02-02-2008, 03:59 PM
Taken today at a local nature reserve.
EOS 1DMKIII, EF 100-400 + 1.4 converter, ISO400, 1/60th sec f8 Handheld. Dull & overcast
Adjusted levels, added some USM and cropped.

Jim Poor
02-02-2008, 04:03 PM
That's a nice little bird but the BG takes away from him a good bit. Did you sharpen the whole thing or just the bird? There is a good bit of noise in the BG that could be dealt with. I might darken the BG around the subject a little too.

Axel Hildebrandt
02-02-2008, 04:24 PM
Nice pose and eye contact. I find the BG a bit busy and it looks as if you sharpened it, which caused a lot of noise. I would apply some NR on the BG to reduce it. Fill flash would have helped in this situation and you would have gotten a nice catchlight.

Arthur Morris
02-02-2008, 05:26 PM
Well done but for the noise and the need for a bit more head turn. That is a lot of noise for ISO 400 on a MIII image. Was the ORIG way underexposed???

later and love, artie

Pete Woods
02-03-2008, 05:08 AM
Well done but for the noise and the need for a bit more head turn. That is a lot of noise for ISO 400 on a MIII image. Was the ORIG way underexposed???

later and love, artie

Yes it was under exposed. I was in a hide under trees, so the light was poor hence the shutter speed. I must admit to concentrating on the bird and have not paid much attention to the BG..

Axel, I don't think using a flash would have gone down well with the birders in the hide.

Thanks all for your feedback :)

Arthur Morris
02-03-2008, 05:55 AM
Yes it was under exposed. Thanks all for your feedback :)

Ah, as I suspected. When you underexpose an image and then lighten it in Photoshop you are making it noisier. With the MIII I would have gone to ISO 1600 and added light until I had at least some data in the 5th histogram box. Youu say "handheld." Were you resting the lens on the opening of the hide?

later and love, artie

Pete Woods
02-03-2008, 06:30 AM
Ah, as I suspected. When you underexpose an image and then lighten it in Photoshop you are making it noisier. With the MIII I would have gone to ISO 1600 and added light until I had at least some data in the 5th histogram box. Youu say "handheld." Were you resting the lens on the opening of the hide?

later and love, artie

Artie thanks again, I think I was resting my elbow on the hide but not the lens..

ISO 1600, I will give this a go.. Might pop back there today :)