PDA

View Full Version : Hairstreak on Milkweed

Bob Allen
05-31-2009, 09:51 AM
Made this image recently, here in sunny southern California. This is the hedgerow hairstreak butterfly, Satyrium saepium, nectaring from the flowers of Indian milkweed, Asclepias eriocarpa. A difficult shot, simply because one has to be there at the right time (I hear Artie's voice saying that in my head) in order to find both the plant in flower (early summer) and the adult butterfly feeding on it; a narrow window of opportunity for short-lived animals such as hairstreaks. This species lives as an adult for only about 2 weeks. The habitat is California grassland bordered by oak woodland and chaparral, in the foothills of the Santa Ana Mountains, miles away from pavement. Arthropod photography is very much a matter of luck; a species you see in one instant may be the only time you ever see it in your life.

The bright sun required me to shade the plant with my body and contort myself on the ground in all sorts of angles (like a pretzel; hey, that isn't in Artie's books!) to line up the shot, with the sensor plane parallel to the closed wings of the butterfly. It moved the entire time. Note the proboscis delving into the hood (part of the highly-derived corolla). I do wish that one of the antennae were in complete focus; hairstreaks often move them up & down as they sit. One antenna has a bit of motion blur which I don't like, but will have to live with.

I thought I made at least one nice image but wasn't sure until I pulled it up at home in Aperture. I must admit to a fair bit of chimping when I saw it on the computer screen ;7)

Details: 25 May 2009, 11:35 am. Canon EOS 5D, Canon 100mm macro, Canon MT-24EX dual Flash, manual mode, 1/60, ƒ/22, ISO 200, handheld. It is ever-so-slightly cropped in from upper left to tighten up the composition.

Roman Kurywczak
05-31-2009, 12:00 PM
Hey Bob,
I really like the comp and light with the 2 FG flowers. I don't remember if you are OK with cloning/patching for removal......and I generally don't advocate it.....but in this case I feel it will strengthen the image even further. The bit of flower near the tail end and the pinkish flower at the wing....if removed will really make a big impact....but again....if you aren't into it.....still a very nice image and presentation.

Julie Kenward
05-31-2009, 02:21 PM
Bob, the hairstreak and two main flowers are beautiful together - they really make this a finely subdued image. I would suggest trying to lighten the very dark areas along the top of the frame and possibly quieting the two orangey areas towards the bottom as they pull my attention away from the main focal point.

And, assuming you are okay with cloning, I'd consider removing the two pieces of flower that are sticking out of the right side of the insect's body. They aren't totally distracting but having that be all BG around that area would really help set him off even more IMO.

Arthur Morris
05-31-2009, 03:35 PM
A sweet result after lots of hard work, just like bird photography. ABP II talks of shading the subject with your body: the contortions are just adaptations! Love the subdued look with a subdued subject. Basic COMP is right on. I would be getting rid of all three parts of the BKGR plant that come out of the wings (and head). I would probably start each repair with the Clone Stamp using Protect and Defend, and then finish it off with either QMs or the Patch Tool.

Mike Moats
05-31-2009, 09:07 PM
Hey Bob, like the comp, good details, love the setting.

Bob Allen
06-01-2009, 08:11 AM
Good suggestions, everyone. I thought about removing the BG flower parts behind the butterfly but figured I'd see what you folks say. Didn't even notice the orange areas mentioned by Julie, good point. Thank you all.