Miller's Lake from a boat.

canon 50D
28mm
ISO200
f16 @1/250

gary

Doug Brown
05-31-2009, 09:27 AM
Beautiful image Gary! Probably one of my favorite images that I've seen from you. I'm not a landscape expert, but I keep wanting to crop a little off the right. I'm interested in what the experts have to say.

Dave Leroy
05-31-2009, 09:27 AM
Beautiful shot Gary. It is interesting how you have more or less "centred" the image. I really like the exposure. Dave

David Thomasson
05-31-2009, 09:35 AM
I think you nailed the exposure and captured the unique mood of this scene. The position of the sun relative to the
trees feels just right to me.

My sense of balance wants to take a little off the right, just inside your name as shown below, but that's a purely
personal sense. I would take out the two lens flares (though some prefer them in shots like this) and sharpen the tree a bit
more. A couple of dust bunnies at the top, just left of center, that should go.

These are just nits. Big congrats on an outstanding image.

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/2809/louisiana.jpg

Roman Kurywczak
05-31-2009, 11:14 AM
Hey Gary,
Let's go over the specs first.....given the fact it is early morning.....sunny 16 rule wouldn't apply....so even there appears you are underexposed by a 1/3......but my bet is that it's closer to 1&1/3. Rarely do you get away with breaking the rules.....so the good news is I think it works here....but for my tastes maybe a hair more PP tweaking. Compositionally I like the original post as the darkness made a very eeirie frame. I like David's tweaks and it appears his clouds(reflection and sky) are a hair lighter too....but I didn't put them side by side.....I would go even slightly lighter with them. I think the central tree placement works as does the sun position relative to it and I don't think you could ask for a better fit on the clouds. Very well composed.... so all the recommendations are minor tweaks.

Fabs Forns
05-31-2009, 08:52 PM
The mood you got here is fantastic, very spooky and beautiful. I like both versions.

Dan Brown
05-31-2009, 09:00 PM
Hi Gary, love your original post! In the boat at sunset is always beautiful! Did you shoot some birds that day?

Kaushik Balakumar
06-01-2009, 08:02 AM
Love the composition. Fantastic exposure. Moody !
Lovely image !