PDA

View Full Version : Sallad for lunch

Thomas Herou
05-31-2009, 05:22 AM
The Lilybugs are a menace in the garden.But I think they're beautiful.

K20D,Sigma 180/3,5
f/4,5, 1/200s, ISO400

Bob Allen
05-31-2009, 10:05 AM
Beautiful beetle and image. I dig that we can see its tarsi. I'd like to see more of the beetle, closer. The blades in the right side compete for one's attention, perhaps they should be cropped out, plus perhaps 2-3 cm from the left side. The blade in the left-side foreground that crosses the beetle's blade above it is a bit distracting. I'd like to see the beetle on the blade that it ate, plus all of the eaten portion, without the blurry blade in front of the eaten portion.

Thomas Herou
05-31-2009, 10:27 AM
Thanks,Bob.
My intention with this picture is not to show the beetle,more
to make a whole compositon with the blades as a main ingredient.
I have too many close-ups of the Lily-bug so I tried something different.
And I have version close to what you described.It'll maybe be the next
thread later.

Roman Kurywczak
05-31-2009, 11:50 AM
Hi Thomas,
I do like the feel to this one and the use of a shallow DOF. I am a bit bothered by the LH oof grass near the bug as it intersects the area it was snacking on. You and Mike are inspiring me to try these myself. Looking forward to the closer one too!

Julie Kenward
05-31-2009, 02:14 PM
I like where you went with this, Thomas. I can live with the OOF blade but think it would be stronger compositionally if we could see that previously eaten area free and clear of the BG blade.

I think you could also consider a vertical crop with this using just the left side of the frame. Great details on the bug...it totally carries the image.

Thomas Herou
05-31-2009, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the c&c.
The next bug will be from another angle,much like your suggestion,Julie.

Mike Moats
05-31-2009, 09:09 PM
Hey Thomas, love it as is. Good balance on both sides of the well focus critter.

Thomas Herou
06-01-2009, 05:50 AM
Thanks,Mike.
It's always a joy to here all the different tastes.That is what makes photography so rewarding.

Anita Bower
06-01-2009, 05:57 AM
I think you succeeded in your goal of a pleasing overall image. The little critter adds a touch of color and draws the eye to the eaten part of the grass. I like the soft focus, the soft lighting, the soft colors with the Lilybug as a dash of brightness. Well composed.

Thomas Herou
06-03-2009, 06:33 AM
Big thanks,Anita!