PDA

View Full Version : Razorbill

Daniel Stenberg
05-31-2009, 01:51 AM
http://iloapp.avipics.se/data/_gallery/public/2/1243626471_resized.jpg

From my annual May week on the remote island of Utklippan in the Baltic Sea (SE part of Sweden). This week I spent one evning and one morning with the small colony of Razorbills and this is one of the pictures taken at the evning shoot.

D700, 600/4 VR, tripod, hide.

Thanks for watching...

// Daniel

Fabs Forns
05-31-2009, 02:09 AM
I absolutely love the golden specular highlights in the BG and the rim light on his head. Composition is daring but effective. Only wish the long streaks were not there, but that is minor. Gorgeous light! Grattis :)

Tony Whitehead
05-31-2009, 03:19 AM
Lovely graphic comp. I love the rim light and BG but wish for just a hint of the eye.

John Chardine
05-31-2009, 08:18 AM
Really like this one Daniel. It's refreshing to see this different "take" on a subject. Even in the best of light, Razorbill eyes are sometime invisible so not surprised they don't show up here.

Doug Brown
05-31-2009, 08:35 AM
Unusual but effective composition. The subtle rim lighting is great. I'm with Tony about wanting to see the eye. Fill flash would have helped in that regard.

Ramon M. Casares
05-31-2009, 08:36 AM
Very nice and diferent! Stunning light, exppsure and colors! Congratulaitons!

Axel Hildebrandt
05-31-2009, 08:51 AM
I like the idea and composition. The specular highlights add interest. Is this island open to the public or do you need a permit. I'm assuming the razorbills nest there, right?

Daniel Stenberg
05-31-2009, 09:50 AM
I like the idea and composition. The specular highlights add interest. Is this island open to the public or do you need a permit. I'm assuming the razorbills nest there, right?

Thanks all for your comments!

Axel: It is an open island, although it is a nature reserve and a sensitive breeding area with many sensitive species, as Red-breasted Merganser, Velvet Scooter and the Razorbills (wich all have dramatically declined in breeding numbers in the Baltic Sea). Most of the threats come from sailors wich uses the island as a night port for further transportation.

We (me and my friends) go there one week every May for ringing (banding) migrating passerines at the bird observatory that has been located there since the late 1960´s.

Here are a link to a web-camera that almost covers the entire island (it is actually two islands):

http://webbkameror.se/webbkameror/utklippan/index.php

The camera is placed at the top of the lighthouse and as you can see it´s not an large island. In the garden at the lower right corner you can see the mist nets that is used by the bird observatory.

Hope that answers your questions...

// Daniel

Juan Aragonés
05-31-2009, 10:11 AM
Daniel this one is outstanding, simply outstanding. Terrific composition and light