PDA

View Full Version : Damselfly 3 in 1

Fabs Forns
05-30-2009, 09:00 PM
I wanted to do this beauty with a creamy BG, and I couldn't get enough DOF wide open, so I took three different focus zones, and blended them myself. Next time, I'll probably do at least 6 of them, very precise. Listen to me, it was manual focus, I'm going to give my eyes a workout :)

Date: 5/29/09
Time: 2:01:10 PM
Model: NIKON D300
Lens (mm): 250 Sigma macro 180mm plus 1.4X
ISO: 800
Aperture: 6.3
Shutter: 1/250

Nancy A Elwood
05-30-2009, 09:07 PM
Fabs there you go with those lovely pastel colors, lovely! MANUAL focus, OMG!! My eyes are weary enough using AF with this macro world. But, I am really enjoying it!!

John Lowin
05-30-2009, 09:18 PM
Hi Fabs, Beautiful crisp image with a wonderful soft pastel BG. The far eye, partially obscured by the reed becomes a tension point for me. I wish it wasn't tangent.

Did you use Helicon Focus to combine your imges? - John

Fabs Forns
05-30-2009, 09:35 PM
Did you use Helicon Focus to combine your imges? - John

No John, I did it manually. I'm dying to get my hands on Helicon, but you buy a year license only, which to me is a lease. I don't think I'll use enough, especailly that I can mix them myself.

Thanks guys!

John Lowin
05-30-2009, 10:46 PM
Hi again Fabs, Do you have a tutorial on focus merging posted anywhere? I would love to learn how. Thanks. - John

Charles Wesley
05-31-2009, 04:37 AM
Fabs,

Love this imagery. Your pastels are so refreshing. I use Combine Z to do my stacking. Your manual technique is awesome....

Fabs Forns
05-31-2009, 09:48 AM
Hi again Fabs, Do you have a tutorial on focus merging posted anywhere? I would love to learn how. Thanks. - John

I will write one, John.

Thanks everyone :)

Bob Allen
05-31-2009, 10:17 AM
Sweeet! BG is especially awesome. I'm impressed that you did this manually. Like John, the right eye, antennae, & clypeus touching the stalk is a point of tension, but livable. Most wing veins are in focus, which I love. It's a little too centered for me. I wonder if it would benefit from cropping 2-3 cm from right & bottom, or would that place the stalk too close to the center of the photo?

Roman Kurywczak
05-31-2009, 11:41 AM
Hi Fabs,
Sweet BG but I too wish for the rest of the 2nd eye. Welcome to my world!!! I always manually focus my macros! Just seems to work better for me. Looking forward to the tutorial as it is something I always wanted to try!

Julie Kenward
05-31-2009, 02:07 PM
Oh yes, do write a tutorial Fabs! Agree with the other comments - love the BG, wish the eye were clear and in view. Otherwise...it's a whole new world for insects!

Christopher Miller
05-31-2009, 08:30 PM
Fabs, Love the soft colors in this! Agree that it would be nice if there was more separation between the stem and the damselfly's head, but it's not a big issue. Can't wait to see your tutorial!

Gus Cobos
06-10-2009, 06:09 PM
A work of art Miss Fabs...I remember seeing this one...well composed and executed...good show...:cool: