PDA

View Full Version : Pink Peony

Julie Kenward
05-30-2009, 04:39 PM
This is another of the peony images I made when trying to work on my other end of the aperture ring. Even at f10 I was branching out in unknown territory! I love the different tones of pink and the soft side lighting in this image.

Canon 40D, EF 100mm f/2.8 macro
f10 @ 1/60th, ISO 100
Manual mode, sunny wb, pattern metering, handheld

Joseph Martines
05-30-2009, 07:21 PM
So .... how did you create the soft lighting .... a diffuser?

The lighting is getting a little harsh on the top side.

I never have luck with peony's.

Julie Kenward
05-30-2009, 07:51 PM
No, Joseph, this is all natural. This bush was tucked beneath a tree in the botanical garden so part of it was in shade and part was in full sun...hence, the corner where the lighting is harsh. I could go back and soften that lighting up a bit but I did like the range of the soft to the harsh light at first glance.

Fabs Forns
05-30-2009, 09:04 PM
Hmmmm, not sure I like the mixed light combination, since it is so bright at the top. Maybe if you could multiply the highlights some?

Roman Kurywczak
05-31-2009, 11:33 AM
Hey Jules,
Because or your posts I have been playing around with the mixed light and find I am more succesful with subdued light as it is easier to contol! I'd be pushing that 40D to ISO400 at least as you won't get too much noise in well let areas......becomes an issue in the shadow areas mostly. I'm with Fabs on the tone down attempt.....would make it stronger IMO.

Julie Kenward
05-31-2009, 01:57 PM
Here's a repost...anyone like this better than the original? I went back and used the clone stamp at 30% darken to tone down the hot spots.

Roman Kurywczak
05-31-2009, 02:53 PM
Hey Jules,
I think the re-post does go in the right direction but tried something myself using it as a base. I may have gone too far:D....as sometimes I don't know when to stop.....but will offer this as the first in my tweaks....shadow highlights with shadow at 55/50/30 and highlights at 14/40/30. This really refined the edges and was the most significant change. Then about 9 levels and contrast layers.....in different areas. I also couldn't do much about the left over shadow areas in the left side and UL corner......crop took some out.....cloned/patched the rest. Yeah I went nuts (sometimes a little obsessive:eek:)......but decided to re-post anyway as this may give you an idea you may want to try!

Anita Bower
06-01-2009, 06:03 AM
I liked the first image a lot! Has a nice feel to it with the various shapes and shades. Liked the repost by Jules better. Like Roman's version best. Just lovely. I like the central petals with their twists and curves and different shades of pink. The more colorful center pulls my eye there. Croping out the left eliminates distracting elements. Very nice! (Sadly, I have so far failed in growing peonies.)

Joseph Martines
06-01-2009, 06:35 AM
I have to agree with Anita.

Roman, you improved on Jules already fine capture of a peony.

Julie Kenward
06-01-2009, 09:19 PM
Very nice, Roman! I'll take another look at my original!