PDA

View Full Version : Stemless lady's slipper

Nicolas Frève
05-30-2009, 04:37 PM
Taken with D300, AF-S 35mm 1.8G and two SB-R200 flashes. f/11, 1/60 sec.

http://www.pbase.com/nicolasfreve/image/113143899.jpg

Thanks for looking:)

Julie Kenward
05-30-2009, 08:05 PM
Nicholas, this is a nice attempt with a 35mm. I think if you had opened up your aperture a bit more you might have been able to minimize some of the distractions in the background a bit more. I also noticed that the entire image is a bit underexposed (no doubt because of the deep shade you were in.)

I opened the image up and did a tighter crop so the flower is more prominent in the frame. I then bumped the contrast and the upper and midtones up using a levels adjustment. Finally, I added some gaussian blur to the image on a separate layer and then removed the blur 100% from the flower, 75% from the front area and the tree and about 40% from the upper left corner where the stick and other foliage is so the flower again would gain a little more prominence in the frame.

If you could go back and do it again I'd suggest moving the one large stick in the upper BG as it runs parallel to the flower and really pulls my eye away from the main focal point.

I also saw that you uploaded the image with a resolution of 300. Try downsizing the resolution to 72 and then you can upload a larger scale image (see the posting instructions at the top of the forum for more help.)

Overall, I think you did a nice job of showing the environment that this flower thrives in...a little housecleaning before hand to remove that stick would have improved the image even more. Nice to have you in the forum!

Fabs Forns
05-30-2009, 09:06 PM
Pretty nice for a centered composition and it works here because the green foliage on upper left balances it. I like the wider crop, repost is too tight for my taste and the height of the flower.

John Lowin
05-30-2009, 09:29 PM
I agree with Fabs on this image and repost. The interesting thing for an orchidist is that this is the alba form of Cypripedium acaule. The more frequently seen form is a rosy pink. Although the alba form is not rare it is certainly less common. I grow the pink variety. Thanks for sharing. - John

Roman Kurywczak
05-31-2009, 11:28 AM
Hi Nicolas,
This is one of those that I don't mind the environs as it adds to the overall mood. Only distraction for me....and it's a minor one is the branch going into the ladyslipper. The greenery going into the flower would have been preferable if it was seperated like the right side.....but it does add to the sense of a just finished rainfall. All in all nicely done.