PDA

View Full Version : There's A Reason It's Called An Icon

Lance Warley
02-02-2008, 01:15 PM
Delicate Arch at sunset. 40D 17-85mm @F18 ss 1/10 iso 100 no crop

I just returned from a spectacular trip to Moab, where Bret Edge did a terrific job of guiding me in Arches and Canyonlands.

All of the pics from the Moab trip are posted on my site. I would love to hear your comments. Thanks.

Roman Kurywczak
02-02-2008, 04:48 PM
Very nice! The dramtic sky makes this image for me (as does the light dusting of snow). Getting me excited for my trip there Monday.

Bret Edge
02-02-2008, 06:40 PM
That sky, the snow AND killer light all worked together for us this night, Lance. I like that the La Sals are barely peeking out from behind a layer of clouds in the background.

I had a great time tramping around Moab with you and hope we're able to do it again some time!

Michael Pancier
02-02-2008, 09:42 PM
congrats Lance. I hope to make it there eventually. I hope my trip to the wave yields good shots....

Maxis Gamez
02-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Hi Lance,

I like the composition. The details are very little, I don't know if because of the Jpeg compression. A neutral density filter would of helped the highlights in the sky, especially in the top right of the frame.

Phil Colla
02-03-2008, 12:22 AM
I was there a year ago and had a similar sunset but not a nice as yours! Your image is a good one, great sky and bits of snow. Only suggestion is perhaps the arch could be moved from dead center, but I am 100% certain you have many compositions from that afternoon and probably have positioned on all points of the compass, horiz and vert. Well done.

Arthur Morris
02-03-2008, 01:41 PM
I am not much of a landscape photographer but I understand light and am not too bad at Photoshop.... The orange shelf in the late sun is overstaurated while the shadowed stuff is too dark... Using QMs I reduced the SAT in the shelf and made it a bit darker and lightened the shadowed areas.

Then after reading Phil's comment I cropped it a bit.

later and love, artie

Roman Kurywczak
02-03-2008, 02:50 PM
Hi Art,
While I agree that your shadow work helped the image even in the sky..........I have to disagree with the over saturation. Speaking as someone who has been there numerous times, at this time of year with the sun angle low, the rocks positively glow. While I haven't shot this scene yet digitally, (going Monday)......I've shot this scene many time using VS film and this is close to what it looks like if not undersaturated..if you could believe that! As for the crop....undecided........but I do feel Lance's original had a nice sweeping curve to it...........but your crop more iny your face impact!
what do you think,
Roman

Lance Warley
02-03-2008, 03:58 PM
Roman, you took the words right out of my mouse :)

Artie, I appreciate the time you put into the critique! That's for sure. But I gotta tell you, I didn't add an iota of color to the photo, and the camera captured it exactly like my eyes saw it. Those rocks were glowing. The shadows were deep and dramatic.

Also, I went with the crop that shows the sweeping curve because the angle of that rock is really steep, and I tried to depict it in the photo. In fact, I had to keep looking at the horizon line and the bubble-level I borrowed from Bret, to convince myself the camera was level.

btw, there's another (of many) DA comps that I hope to get on a future trip with Bret - at the west side of the sweeping rock, there's a "bowl" that looks up at the arch. It is definitely a stunning shot from there, but we couldn't be in two places at once. I bet others in here have that comp.

Arthur Morris
02-03-2008, 05:11 PM
Hi Lance, I can understand all of your points. Do know that many digital cameras tend to oversaturate reds and yellows especially in sweet light. When they do that, they often show up as overexposed when you do your Levels adjustment (and hold down the ALT key while adjusting the highlight slider. When that happens, you need to back off on the SAT of those colors.

later and love, artie

Robert Amoruso
02-04-2008, 07:21 AM
An ICON of the west.

I have been to Delicate Arch and yes in the afternoon the color on the rocks can be very saturated but I agree with Artie that the reds with Canon to easily become over-saturated. Since starting to use the RGB histogram I have noticed this fact and will de-saturate reds its hues in PSCS. As Artie has shown us, de-saturating the reds in breeding color Roseate Spoonbills makes all the difference to the image and bring up detail. As I was just looking and photographing one last night at Merritt Island NWR it is obvious that many are accepting this oversaturated look.

When I demonstrate to my workshop participants this fact witht he spoonbills, most agree with the final results.