PDA

View Full Version : Columbine High Key

Roman Kurywczak
05-30-2009, 12:50 PM
I tried experimenting with the shallow DOF's without success and find myself returning to my f32.....had to stop down to 16 because of wind! This is one habit that is going to be hard to break. Even though it is windy out today decided to venture outside with one of my columbine and evening primroses.......decided to try a few variations of happy accident.....here's the first. Went to f32 as the columbine is extremely deep and was trying to capture some definition in the sky.....which I didn't do here but was succesful in the primrose (try to post it tomorrow). I did experiment with sun and overcast because of Julie's petunia....but this one seemed to come out better in the softer light when the clouds diffused the sun.
Canon 1D Marklll with the Sigma 180mm macro at ISO 800 and f16 for 1/80th of a sec. and the MT24 twin lights at +2 power. My guess is that I was approximately 2 stops overexposed......even though meter said 3. Very little PP work.....a bit of contrast and sharpening.

Juan Carlos Vindas
05-30-2009, 02:52 PM
Roman this is a great try. I love it.
If anything I would saturate the flower a bit.

Julie Kenward
05-30-2009, 04:07 PM
I agree with Juan...maybe even take the whites of the columbine a little bit more towards pure white. I do like it as presented - maybe its just taking some getting used to because it almost appears desaturated. Very interesting...

Fabs Forns
05-30-2009, 09:08 PM
Roman, Roman, you are making histroy, this style that you are discovering really works, got to try it myself, I love to overexposed flowers to get pastel hues :)

Anita Bower
06-01-2009, 06:06 AM
Gorgeous presentation, composition, soft colors. I especially like the angle at which you photographed this Columbine, the graceful stem and inclusion of a few leaves. You are inspiring some of us to try this high key approach. Thanks.