PDA

View Full Version : Gentoo in surf

Charles Glatzer
05-30-2009, 08:38 AM
This image is copyrighted material as indicated, and is watermarked! Unauthorized use or reproduction for any reason is prohibited

Looking forward to returning to the Falklands in Jan 2010

1Ds Mark III, 500mm w/ 1,4x, full frame
Manual, incident, 1/800 @ f/6.3, ISO 400
Post-production- LR2, CS4

See you where there is light, or at the computer

Best,

Chas

Krijn Trimbos
05-30-2009, 08:49 AM
Wish I were you, with all your Falkland trips! Seems like you make the best out of them as well! Love the story this shot tells, the braking wave and foam on the seawater are excellent! Love that only the head of the Penguin is visable! Perfect shot all round IMHO!

Randy Stout
05-30-2009, 08:55 AM
Chas:

Nice environmental portrait. It is amazing these guys can thrive in the pounding surf.

I thought the image was too bright/white for my taste, so took the liberty of bringing down the midlevel slider a bit while excluding the bird itself. I like the increased definition of the water it gives, but you were there, so ultimately your aesthetic sense should prevail.

Just an option.

Thanks for sharing.

Randy

Manos Papadomanolakis
05-30-2009, 09:07 AM
i really like the bg/forground and the beautiful pose!

Juan Aragonés
05-30-2009, 10:53 AM
Composition can not be better Chas. I love the balance between the sharp areas in the FG and the OOF BG that still retains enought details. Superb job

Axel Hildebrandt
05-30-2009, 11:51 AM
I like the composition a lot, great surf and the curious look of the gentoo make this one for me.

Tony Whitehead
05-30-2009, 03:03 PM
Superb result, Chas. I like the pounding wave in the BG, the curve of clear water in the foreground and the soft foam in front of the Gentoo.

Ramon M. Casares
05-30-2009, 04:45 PM
Love it! Great comp, in this particular case, the hot whites don't bother me much as the whole image is very powerfull. Congratulations!

Charles Glatzer
05-30-2009, 04:51 PM
Love it! Great comp, in this particular case, the hot whites don't bother me much as the whole image is very powerfull. Congratulations!

No whites without detail as taken or as posted?

Chas

Ramon M. Casares
05-30-2009, 04:55 PM
I don't quite understand the quiestion Charles.. sorry, my english is not great, please if you don't mind, rephrase it for me.

Charles Glatzer
05-30-2009, 05:21 PM
I don't quite understand the quiestion Charles.. sorry, my english is not great, please if you don't mind, rephrase it for me.

You mentioned "hot whites" in your original post...hot whites typically refers to bright highlights without detail. There are none of these in the image.

Chas

Axel Hildebrandt
05-30-2009, 05:36 PM
You mentioned "hot whites" in your original post...hot whites typically refers to bright highlights without detail. There are none of these in the image.

Chas

I guess Ramon refers to some areas in the surf near the bird. Looks like a jpg conversion thing to me. I would be surprised if it were overexposed in the TIFF file.

Were you on a boat when you made this image?

Ramon M. Casares
05-30-2009, 08:20 PM
Charles, it might be due to the jpg conversion as Axel said, and yes I am refering to the areas in the surf near the bird, they look hot in my monitor. if there are not blown, then I apologize :)

Charles Glatzer
05-30-2009, 10:11 PM
Charles, it might be due to the jpg conversion as Axel said, and yes I am refering to the areas in the surf near the bird, they look hot in my monitor. if there are not blown, then I apologize :)

Ramon,

No worries, I understand now what you are referring too. Looks like output sharpening caused a bit of clipping.

Alex,

It was taken from shore, Sea Lion Is.

--------------------------

The only way to know if something like that is in fact slighlty clipped, as posted... is to download the image and open it in levels/curves. Some of you guys have to much free time ;).
BTW- you can simply set the output highlight level to 254 before saving and you will never show clipping...regardless if there is detail in the highlights or not.

Chas

Mike Lentz
05-31-2009, 05:40 AM
As is usually the case, a BG element really makes an image stand outish! Wonderful timing!

John Chardine
05-31-2009, 07:25 AM
Love the crashing wave in the BG and layout of the image. The image looks flat on my calibrated monitor and I like Randy's repost. I tried punching up the saturation just a little as well and it increased the impact for me at least.

Dave Taylor
06-01-2009, 01:40 PM
This is fantastic Chas! Love the detail and movement, not a nit to pick here! Plus the apparent "oh sh!t" look in the Gentoo's eyes sets it off:) Very nicely done. Great example of BIH, as I was led here by another post regarding birds in habitat vs birds on sticks (not for consumption! Just the pose.)

Emil Martinec
06-02-2009, 10:26 PM
The only way to know if something like that is in fact slighlty clipped, as posted... is to download the image and open it in levels/curves. Some of you guys have to much free time

For those of us in the Mac world it is quite easy. I always have DigitalColorMeter open in a corner of my display.

http://theory.uchicago.edu/%7Eejm/pix/20d/posts/nsn/chasblown.png

;) :D