PDA

View Full Version : Redhead Duck

Stuart Laughton
05-30-2009, 07:37 AM
I want to thank those who welcomed me to BPN and commented on my Tree Swallow. My gear is a basic Sony A200 kit (the works for 800 bucks). Though I was still using fully automatic settings back in February, the duck specs are: ISO 100, 300mm/6.3 @ 1/640". I've done a bit of stylizing in iPhoto and very much like the water. This week I'm struggling with the enormous power and reach of a flash with Better Beamer but have enrolled in flash workshops in June. I'll post again if I manage to apply what I learn. Thanks again, all.

Harold Davis
05-30-2009, 08:57 AM
hi stuart. i like the water, too! the look back from the duck is really nice. a slight crop from the top to get rid of the lighter strip really puts a focus on the bird. you may select the water and warm it up a tad just for effect? a matter of opinion really. nice job!!

Gus Cobos
05-30-2009, 11:13 AM
Hi Stuart,
Welcome back...I like the composition, image and capture...your subject is placed just right in frame, I like the head turn, with the clear eye contact...you have sharp details in the feather and the color of the water set the duck off quite well...congrats...looking forward to your next one...good show...:cool:

Jeff Cashdollar
05-30-2009, 03:28 PM
Stuart,

I agree with harold's crop suggestion (eliminate the top thin-slice). Nice image, I like it. You give this beautiful baby a regal look, well done. I would be happy to have it in my collection. Please include the metering mode and EV if any.

Let me know what you pickup in the training, I am still learning flash as well. I use TTL and evaluative metering hence = ETTL 95% of the time and dial in flash compensation as needed (-3 to +3). I have only used manual mode on occasion and manual flash exposure calculations (e.g., using guide numbers).

Some folks use a color scale to determine the correct flash compensation. I read some good stuff in APB on flash exposure comp as well. For example, when using fill flash dialing in comp based on the subject's tone (e.g., white tones = -2).

Lance Peters
05-30-2009, 06:38 PM
Hi Stuart - Like Harolds s advice - like the pose and eye contact.
Good Job.

Alfred Forns
05-30-2009, 07:01 PM
Hi Stuart

Got one cropping suggestion !! I like to say if something is worth including in the frame ... include all of it !!! I'm referring to the duck's wake As presented is cut off Would like to see more of it If you the duck placement is going to change but that can be dealt with !!! I do like it as presented and you made a good composition

Regarding the BB remember you get just over two f stops of extra light but need to set it at 50mm Keep in mind as you go over the normal sync speed distance loss will be rapid !!! At the shutter speed you used for your image the range was cut in half !!!

I always think the best way to learn the effect of the flash is doing three consecutive images, the first will be full power, second less since the capacitor has not charged and the last probably no flash.... easy to compare and see which you like best !!! .... and if the first one did anything at all !!!