PDA

View Full Version : Arctic Fox

Charles Glatzer
05-29-2009, 09:55 PM
This image is copyrighted material as indicated, and is watermarked! Unauthorized use or reproduction for any reason is prohibited

Churchill '08

I love photographing wildlife in the snow. After recently spending a few days in Sacramento's 102 degree heat I am looking forward to heading back to Churchill again this winter.

1Ds Mark III, 600IS w/ 1.4x
Manual, spot off snow + 2.3 EV, 1/640 @ f/8, ISO 800
Post-production- LR2, CS4

See you where there is light, or at the computer

Best,

Chas

Dan Brown
05-29-2009, 10:00 PM
Beautiful Chas! Soft yet sharp! BTW, what were you up to in Sac? it was only 90 today:D

Charles Glatzer
05-29-2009, 10:12 PM
Beautiful Chas! Soft yet sharp! BTW, what were you up to in Sac? it was only 90 today:D

Hosting NANPA Road Show Seminar, next one is in MN in AUG.

Chas

Harshad Barve
05-29-2009, 11:42 PM
Beautiful image Charles

I loved white on white

Harshad

Fabs Forns
05-31-2009, 10:08 AM
Precious moment! I fin the slight blue cast to be a better representative of the color of the snow, that could get very blue in the shade.

Mike Lentz
05-31-2009, 11:39 AM
Hosting NANPA Road Show Seminar, next one is in MN in AUG.

Chas Interesting! :)

I assume peter knows snow does have Blue in it. I also generally dial back the blue channel for more of a white look to the snow. Its all personal preference I guess.

Charles Glatzer
05-31-2009, 12:12 PM
Slight blue cast lends a cooler feel to the image, and it was 0 F when this was taken. I think the cooler cast better communicates the story, something that I find personally lacking in many forum images.

I always find it funny that people re-post images as they want them to appear rather than as the maker intended ;). In the end it is all subjective anyway.

Best in your photo endeavors, and "warmest" regards

Chas

Tony Whitehead
05-31-2009, 02:45 PM
Slight blue cast lends a cooler feel to the image, and it was 0 F when this was taken. I think the cooler cast better communicates the story, something that I find personally lacking in many forum images.

I always find it funny that people re-post images as they want them to appear rather than as the maker intended ;). In the end it is all subjective anyway.

Best in your photo endeavors, and "warmest" regards

Chas
I prefer the original cooler image but can only say that because I have had the opportunity to visually compare it to the repost. I think it is a useful learning tool for those of us who may have difficulty imagining different versions and didn't have the opportunity to be there. You are right - it is all subjective and neither is right nor wrong - just personal preference acknowledging individual perception. Possibly with more opportunities to learn like this, more participants will learn the subtleties of communication the story.

Stu Bowie
06-01-2009, 02:21 PM
Charles, great sighting, and I feel you have exposed this perfectly. Apart from the two black marks mentioned by Peter, I wouldnt change a thing.

Arthur Morris
06-02-2009, 05:59 AM
Chas (and all),

First off let me say that I greatly prefer Peter's repost.
re:

That would be hard for us to know as you rarely comment on other folks images. We would love for you to acutally be a part of this community. Many folks perceive your posts as pure blatant advertising.

I always find it funny that people re-post images as they want them to appear rather than as the maker intended ;).

I am pretty much at a loss to understand that comment here: folks take the time to work on an image, to share their vision of your capture, and you find it funny. Few here are as talented as you and many actually appreciate when folks care enough about their images and about folks learning. And in many cases, the repost teaches lot of folks lots of stuff, including the original poster. At BPN we are eager to have folks share their thoughts and methods with others.

In the end it is all subjective anyway.

For sure. BTW, when you referred to the "maker" above were you referring to yourself or to God?

Best in your photo endeavors, and "warmest" regards.

Thanks and ditto. It is getting hot here in FLA....

Arthur Morris
06-02-2009, 06:08 AM
I assume peter knows snow does have Blue in it.

Was the above comment meant to be informative or insulting?

Charles Glatzer
06-02-2009, 10:44 AM
Chas (and all),

First off let me say that I greatly prefer Peter's repost.
re:

That would be hard for us to know as you rarely comment on other folks images. We would love for you to acutally be a part of this community. Many folks perceive your posts as pure blatant advertising.

Artie, I comment as time allows in all the discussion forums. Look in there once in a while ;). With 8 1/2 months on the road teaching each year my time is limited. I post images to hopefully stimulate viewers creatively, and teach them how to derive at the correct exposure, etc. It is why I post the metering method and pattern in use, as well as the comp applied...not simply the shutter-speed and f/stop. The method behind the madness if you will. And, yes, in truth like many others posting I am hopeful viewers will recognize I have much too offer.

I always find it funny that people re-post images as they want them to appear rather than as the maker intended ;).

I am pretty much at a loss to understand that comment here: folks take the time to work on an image, to share their vision of your capture, and you find it funny. Few here are as talented as you and many actually appreciate when folks care enough about their images and about folks learning. And in many cases, the repost teaches lot of folks lots of stuff, including the original poster. At BPN we are eager to have folks share their thoughts and methods with others.

Of course this is a learning forum, as was my partnership and premise in starting the Original on-line nature magazine quite a few years ago. I have been walking the forum road for years giving freely of all I know, and I continue to learn daily. It can be good to illustrate what you would have done differently to a degree. Point taken.

In the end it is all subjective anyway.

For sure. BTW, when you referred to the "maker" above were you referring to yourself or to God?

Silly response!

Best in your photo endeavors, and "warmest" regards.

Thanks and ditto. It is getting hot here in FLA....

XXOO,

Chas

Mike Lentz
06-02-2009, 01:23 PM
Was the above comment meant to be informative or insulting?

Arthur, you know me better than that. I re read it many times and was trying to wonder how it could be understood any other way... Of course it was informative.

James Shadle
06-02-2009, 08:01 PM
How does this look?

Charles Glatzer
06-02-2009, 10:06 PM
James,

IMHO..to contrasty for the heavily overcast conditions this was taken under.

Chas

Ed Erkes
06-03-2009, 05:18 PM
Just to add my 2 cents worth: I prefer Peter's repost also-- sure, snow often has some blue in it (and, in late afternoon light, it can also take on a warm color cast), but the mind generally compensates and perceives it as pure white. I find reposts often informative and enlightening.

But a beautiful image it is-- all three versions!!!!

Ákos Lumnitzer
06-04-2009, 12:40 AM
I very much prefer your original image Charles. Your work is simply inspirational mate. :)

James Shadle
06-04-2009, 07:47 AM
James,

IMHO..to contrasty for the heavily overcast conditions this was taken under.

Chas

Thanks Chas.
IMO, it's more than your opinion - you were there, I was not.

An image is what a photographer wants the viewer to see.
In this case, it is now obvious that you wanted to "faithfully" represent the scene.

Mentioning the overcast conditions and how you intended to represent the scene would help viewers and those offering critiques a glimpse of your thought process. And of course, the thought process is the most important part of creating beautiful images.

James