PDA

View Full Version : Pretty Pentunia

Julie Kenward
05-29-2009, 04:44 PM
I bought a soft yellow petunia for the deck this year and I've never seen petunias this color before. I'm so glad I did...they are really gorgeous in the late day sun.

This image was created today at high noon. I overexposed by almost a full stop trying to mimic Roman's iris technique but I just couldn't go the full three stops! I then pulled it up a bit more in ACR and cloned out some small debris. It is intentionally towards the "high key" end to show off the veins and lines of the flower.

Canon 40D, EF 100mm f/2.8, 12 & 20mm extension tubes
f3.2 @ 1/80th, ISO 200, manual mode, sunny wb, handheld, no flash

denise ippolito
05-29-2009, 05:46 PM
Julie, The color lighting and comp are gorgeous!

Mike Moats
05-29-2009, 06:00 PM
Hey Jules, Very cool, and the overexposed BG works well.

Fabs Forns
05-29-2009, 10:02 PM
This one really glows, the back light works perfectly and great compo.

Roman Kurywczak
05-30-2009, 08:25 AM
Hey Jules,
I see it's catching on! I think the overexposure will depend greatly on the strength of the light......mine were all in pretty diffused or very low light so I will have to try this at other times. I am heading out right now but will be interested in your thoughts on my re-post. You know my love of the crop tool.....and I felt the grey areas took away from the feel (for me anyway).....so I just croped. The black border was added solely because the BPN BG is the whitish color and I wanted to avoid the bleed. Let me know how you feel about it!
PS I may go with less of a crop and fill it/clone the gray areas in

Julie Kenward
05-30-2009, 11:02 AM
Roman, I debated on leaving the BG in also...its' nice to see this version without it. I really liked the scalloped edges of the petunia and that's why I originally left it in. Now I don't know...both seem to work well.

Thanks for the repost! It's great to see another take on this one.

Anita Bower
05-30-2009, 11:17 AM
Lovely! Great colors and light. It glows. I like both versions, cropped and uncropped.