PDA

View Full Version : The Big Empty

D. Robert Franz
02-02-2008, 11:36 AM
Which will likely be the name of the book I'm working on about the Bighorn Basin of NW Wyoming (where I live). I'm trying for shots that portray the above nickname for the area... This is looking west towards the Absaroka Mountains and Yellowstone...

Canon 5d, EF17-40mm @ 25mm, ISO 100, 1/60 @ F16

Phil Colla
02-02-2008, 11:43 AM
Just how does one portray emptiness in a photo -- that's a tough assignment that will push you I'm sure. This one works well, the lines lead the eyes bottom-right to top-left across a distance and emptiness to the next feature that is substantial, at the same time you've got sharp foreground detail..

John Cooper
02-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Hi Robert, I think this image goes along way to achieve your goal - the very stong foreground element leads your eye beyond into an emptyness (reminding me a bit of central australia) and with the eye finally coming to rest on the distamt mountains. The texture in the rock and lichens has lots of impact.

Robert Amoruso
02-04-2008, 07:12 AM
Nice composition and framing Robert. It works very well with the extreme DOF capturing detail inthe FG rocks and BG mountain range.

Gerald Kelberg
02-05-2008, 08:00 AM
Hi Robert,
That is a tough challenge you have set yourself - I'm sure you will enjoy it! My comment is about your image and a number of others I have just looked at on the site, so sorry for picking on you.
I can't agree with John as I find that like others, this image doesn't lead my eye to what you want me to see - should I admire the lichen or the empty mid-ground or the distant mountains or the rock formation?
In my opinion, this isn't helped by the diagonal path in the foreground - it takes my eye to no-where. I tried cropping that out in the browser and found the next level of shadowed path immediately led my eye to the gap, and things started to work for me.
Try it, tell me what you think.
Gerald