PDA

View Full Version : Dandelion seeds

Kaushik Balakumar
05-29-2009, 06:36 AM
Made the image of the dandelion seeds. Decided to get up-close with individual seeds.
Used two flash units - a flash from side/back & some mild flash from front/right for some fill-in.

I converted this image to B&W. I have been experimenting with some in-camera multiple exposures with these dandelion seeds. This image is made with 2 frames - focusing on the one in front for the 1st frame & the next frame has its focal plane moved back.

Techs:
Nikon D300, Nikkor 105mm VR micro, tripod, flash
f/5.6, 1/250, ISO200, in-camera multiple exposure

Views welcome...

denise ippolito
05-29-2009, 07:20 AM
Kaushik, It looks like silk,the flash illuminated the strands beautifully. I like the diagonal composition and the conversion-

Dave Leroy
05-29-2009, 10:22 AM
A very pretty picture of a very simple subject Kaushik. I really like that. Dave

Kyle Marie Barcelos
05-29-2009, 11:59 AM
I really love this picture, great job. I wish they looked that good in my yard, then I wouldn't have to pick them out.:D

Valerio Tarone
05-29-2009, 12:21 PM
Kaushik, I like the image as is creative, I think you use well the tecnique. Personally, probably I prefer a clour one, but it's only a personal idea.

Julie Kenward
05-29-2009, 04:37 PM
Yeah, I'm not posting my dandelion photo after this one! No way, no how.

That said, I do like the diagonal comp on this but there's a lot of unused space towards the bottom of the frame. I would love to see about 1/4 to 1/3 off the bottom to maintain the diagonal lines but give the individual seed heads more attention.

The conversion is stunning. Excellent job. You need to be posting some more of these down in the OOTB forum for b&w images!

Mike Moats
05-29-2009, 06:02 PM
Hey Kaushik, dandelions make for great artwork and you created some nice art with this one. Like the comp and lighting.

Fabs Forns
05-29-2009, 10:04 PM
Very original presentation of dandelions, great OOTB capture.

Roman Kurywczak
05-30-2009, 12:37 PM
Hey Kaushik,
I like this very much and you are giving me some great ideas as I struggle with the shallow DOF. I like the conversion to B&W here too and the light is also great! Very well done!