PDA

View Full Version : Pahoehoe lava flow

Mark Fuge
05-28-2009, 07:05 PM
This is an image of the end of a Pahoehoe lava flow, Hawaii Volcano National Park. This is the typical flowing lava that we see in photos of the volcano. It flows like molasses and hardens in the form of waves. Thought the colors, from the different minerals in the laval, were interesting. It was an overcast day shortly after a light rain. Hence the wet look.

Gus Cobos
05-28-2009, 07:13 PM
And to think that this beautiful rock ate up whole towns and cities...:eek::D:cool:

Alfred Forns
05-28-2009, 08:46 PM
It is beautiful Mark ... sure wish I could see it in person :)

Mark Fuge
05-29-2009, 02:39 PM
And to think that this beautiful rock ate up whole towns and cities...

Gus, this is another image of what happens when you procrastinate and don't get out of the way of the lava! :eek: Pele Rules on the Big Island!!! ;)

I shot this in 19**, on my second trip to the islands. Unfortunately, at that time I was using Ektachrome slide film. Faster than Kodachrome, but no shelf life after processing.:( The original was good, but age had affected the image, by the time I had it scanned. Keep an eye out though if you like it, as I have found it to be a very good image for OOTB renditions. Waiting for the right moment to spring it on you though! ;)

I've critiqued this image more than anyone can. It is aweful now. Composition and memories are all it's worth. But you should have seen it in it's prime! :cool:

On my third trip to the islands, I was able to find it again, but the road had been moved and the background was totally unaceptable. The last trip I did not find it, though we had other priorities and I couldn't remember the mile marker, which I had remembered on the second trip to help locate it. It might be under another 10 feet of lava by now??

Mark Fuge
05-29-2009, 02:41 PM
It is beautiful Mark ... sure wish I could see it in person :)

You can ... just tell Fabs to send you her paychecks! ;) Of course when you do, tell her from Hawaii, as you will want to be distant! :eek: :D

Aloha!