PDA

View Full Version : Portland Head Light

John Lowin
05-28-2009, 04:47 PM
Captured this image last summer. I've photographed this landmark several times, however this is a new perspective for me. Hope you like my image. C and C welcome, I'm here to learn.

f/8 1/800 ISO 400
Canon 1D Mk II
Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM @ 28mm
HH

Gayle Clement
05-28-2009, 09:29 PM
I do like the perspective and the beautiful, clear day.

Dave Mills
05-28-2009, 10:24 PM
John, I think your composition is well composed with a good leading line. The strong lighting takes away any drama that could be created using early light.

Kaushik Balakumar
05-29-2009, 05:56 AM
Simply & neatly composed. Liked the lone cloud behind the light house.

David Thomasson
05-29-2009, 09:09 AM
I would love to see a shot from the same vantage point at sunset. The long foreground with lots of rock details
works fine in this shot, but I suspect those details would be more interesting if low light were catching some of the
surfaces and throwing others into shadow. The various planes on the house would surely take on a different
character when lit or shadowed at sunset.

EDIT: I was assuming that this was shot in the early afternoon and that sunset would have the light low and from the right.
I see from Dave Mills' post just below that sunrise would put the sun in that position.

Dave Mills
05-29-2009, 11:00 AM
The classic shot of this is generally taken at sunrise with the sun 90 degrees to the right(out at sea) from the position you were standing at in the photo. I haven't seen any shots taken very late in the day from this vantage point since the sun is coming from the land. If anyone has shots taken late in the day I would be interested in seeing them....

Roman Kurywczak
05-29-2009, 01:40 PM
Hey John,
Dave is correct.....this is basically an early am shot and pray for the clouds and the bounce and the gate isn't always open in time! I see you went over the fence (i've done it a few times myself) and I love the curve of the land. You did a great job avoiding all the crowds too but I agree with Dave.....a few hours earlier would definitely make a difference......unfortunately.....you need the clouds to cooperate too! Aaaaah!!!....the life of a landscape photographer!

John Lowin
05-29-2009, 05:51 PM
Thank you all for your valued comments. In this case it was a matter of getting my wife up early enough to get there on time. Oh well, at least I got her into photography. Thanks again. - John