PDA

View Full Version : Newfoundland on my Mind

Fabs Forns
05-27-2009, 10:48 PM
For the past two years we have gone there in the summer, so I'm really missing the planning and feel of those trips to the legendary Land of the Fog :)
Cape St. Mary's , NL, one spectacular place!
Full frame, cropped for rotation.

Model: NIKON D300
Lens (mm): 500
ISO: 320
Aperture: 8
Shutter: 1/1600

Comments appreciated.

Ilija Dukovski
05-27-2009, 10:51 PM
One thing I really like here is that you both show the habitat and landscape nicely,
and yet it is OOF just enough not to overwhelm the subject,
I can feel the salty breeze...:)

Harshad Barve
05-27-2009, 11:21 PM
This is great shot, I loved the way bird is placed in frame

Thanks for sharing

Harshad

Stu Bowie
05-28-2009, 12:36 AM
Fabs, super comp, and well done on capturing the ganett against the cliff.

Tony Whitehead
05-28-2009, 03:21 AM
Lovely cliffs and sea showing the gannet in it's environment. Really captures the feel of being at a colony and seeing them fly.

Scott Grant
05-28-2009, 06:45 AM
beautiful image Fabs! for anyone who's never been there this image certainly captures the essence of the Cape!

i'm going to miss Cape St. Mary's this summer also! even though i live in Newfoundland, i won't be getting out that way this summer as it is still 400 miles from my home. between having my first child only 5 months ago and the weddings i have booked this summer to pay for my new 500VR i won't have too many days off to travel to the Cape.

thanks for posting! it made my morning! :)

all the best!

David Thomasson
05-28-2009, 03:34 PM
Great angle on the bird, and the DoF seems just right to me. A couple of tweaks you might play around with:

I set the black point at 20 (!) in that dark area just in front of the bird's left wingtip, and applied S/H to the dark wingtips. I sorta like the warmer tones, but hey that's just me. :o
(I'm not suggesting this crop, of course.)

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/8251/newfie.jpg

Fabs Forns
05-28-2009, 03:41 PM
Hehehehe, I like the crop :O
I'll play with it and see how it looks although light was not that warm there. I need to see it in the bigger to see what effect it has.
Thanks again for coming to the rescue :)

Axel Hildebrandt
05-30-2009, 05:39 PM
I like the wide crop and setting and hope to get a chance to go there sometime, maybe minus the fog. :)