PDA

View Full Version : First Post - Great Blue Heron

Jeremy Linning
05-27-2009, 05:40 PM
Captured this on the East Coast on Vancouver Island. It was a windy/overcast afternoon at low tide.

Canon 50d, Canon 100-400, Monopod
Iso 800, f8.0, 1/500, 400mm

Thanks
Jeremy

Randy Stout
05-27-2009, 05:50 PM
Jeremy:

Welcome to BPN. It is a great learning place for photography.

Your GBH is well exposed and reasonably sharp. The prey item is a plus, as is the lifted foot.

The angle of the head generally looks better when turned towards you a bit more. The composition is a bit tight, I would recommend more room all the way around. The background is a bit busy and bright enough that it competes with the bird for our attention. There is some noise in the background which could be smoothed out with noise reduction.

Keep them coming. Read as many posts from other folks, and you will pick up tips very quickly!

Thanks for sharing, and again, welcome to BPN!

Randy

Axel Hildebrandt
05-27-2009, 05:57 PM
Welcome to BPN, Jeremy! Very nice first post. I like the walking pose and the fish adds to it. Adding to Randy's suggestions, I would lower the color temperature. The whites look a bit too yellow. Keep them coming!

Maxis Gamez
05-27-2009, 10:49 PM
Hello and welcome. Great points by Axel and Randy. I would try to fix the horizon as well.

Stu Bowie
05-28-2009, 12:20 AM
Welcome Jeremy, and a great first post. I like the posture, especially with the raised foot, and his catch a bonus. Good colours on the heron too. The BG is a bit busy, and I would maybe tone down the lighter areas in the water.

Tell Dickinson
05-28-2009, 01:35 AM
Hi Jeremy and welcome :) Nice first post and Randy and the others have given some very points to consider :)