PDA

View Full Version : Dawn Patrol

Fred Bourque
05-27-2009, 01:48 PM
Galveston Beach sunrise

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg62/Stargazer_54/landscapes/SanLuisPasssunriseprint.jpg

Canon 50D
Canon 10-22mm
ISO 100
f13
Manual mode
SS 1/20
Auto W/B

Kaushik Balakumar
05-27-2009, 07:02 PM
Love the vibrant colours in the sky. Might tone down the saturation a wee bit in the FG. I see some red spots in the FG elements here & there - perhaps some odd reflections.

Roman Kurywczak
05-27-2009, 07:17 PM
Hi Fred,
I like the line of seaweed/debris and the way it curves in the FG. I am also OK with the sun placement in the frame. I am debating whether you needed more DOF....or focused more on the FG and let it fall where it may.....as the FG is the strongest element in the frame for me at this point. I may also try tweaking the sky in PP'ing....to further bring up the tones and detail.....but as always I recommend the split ND filter in the field as it would have helped here. Ther also appears to be a dust bunny(12:30 towards top of frame) in the sky....easy fix and just an FYI. Hope you also explored some comps without the FG element to make the sunburst even more the focal point .....loooks like a very intriguing place.

Juan Carlos Vindas
05-27-2009, 07:38 PM
Lovely scene. I especially enjoy the colors of the sky. Well done.

Fabs Forns
05-27-2009, 11:40 PM
I like the colors, but I thin you needed to use DOF more efficiently, where did you focus? The foreground seems soft and it
s hurting an otherwise very nice capture.

Fred Bourque
05-28-2009, 07:12 AM
Thanks for all the great suggestion. I think one of the reasons for the soft looking foreground is I didnt sharpen for the web as I normally do. I sent this to print and received it yesterday, the difference between to two are quite a bit, The print looks a lot better than want I have posted here.
Yep I found the dust bunny and corrected in the print version, and I cleaned my sensor. Sure hope that takes care of that
I did use a lee filter system, with a ND Grad .9 hard, guess I lightened a bit too much in PP.
As for the DOF, I guess I should have used f22 instead, of f13, mighta made a bit of a difference.
I sure what to thank yall for helping me out with these. I know I can count on good honest c & c from here, unlike some other forums.
Thanks again
Fred

Fabs Forns
05-28-2009, 11:11 AM
Fred, you ay nit have to use f/22. Focusing one third into the frame in should give you better DOF and also, if you use Windows, here's a neat program, that would give you the exact DOF. What you do is use your lens chart, pick the focal lens and the feet at which you will prefocus. That will give you the f-stop. Set at for a good EXP at that F stop and focus on a rock tree or your car at the feet stated in the chart. Once it's focused, switch to manual focus to keep it. Aim to your landscape and voila, perfect DOF.

http://www.dofmaster.com/charts.html

Fred Bourque
05-28-2009, 11:15 AM
Great!!!, Thanks a bunch, this will come in handy.
Fred

Paul Marcellini
05-31-2009, 05:45 PM
You already got some good tips. I really like this, you got a great sky. One thing to keep in mind, reflections are darker than the reflecting object, so with a nd grad you may over darken the real object(sky) compared to its reflection. In this image its most noticeable below the sun. Should be an easy fix though.